Refund on Tithing

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tubaloth

Refund on Tithing

Post by tubaloth »

I know it has been talked about on here before. Those seemed to be older so I wasn't sure if they apply.

This is actually a personal question, I'm not a ward clerk anymore.

We came to find out that my mom has been calculating her tithing wrong. It looks like with last year and this year she overpaid by $30k in tithing.
Yes that is a lot. We are still trying to figure out why.

We realize last years tithing is gone mostly because she declared it on her taxes. But my mom paid 8k in tithing in March and wondering if we can get that back? The tithing she paid last year is more then enough for a couple of years.

What would we need to do? A letter, call somebody? Any idea?
Thanks
eblood66

Re: Refund on Tithing

Post by eblood66 »

See this thread. There is no guarantee that a refund will be approved but you can make the request as indicated in that thread. I would do my best to figure out what she did wrong so that you can provide a good reason for why it was a mistake. Your situation is different than the one I was involved with where an extra zero was added to the amount when using the online tool. You may need more evidence that it was a mistake.
chad.stewart

Post by chad.stewart »

Handbook 1: 14.4.9 [Handbook 1 quote removed - contributions are not refundable]

Hopefully the 8k in tithing paid in March will cover her 10% for the rest of 2017.

You could attempt to engage HQ on this, but I have a feeling that the Church has to tread carefully when refunding tithes, due to Church tax exempt status.
Last edited by scgallafent on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove Handbook 1 quote
tubaloth

Post by tubaloth »

The tithing my mom over paid last year is more then enough to cover this year.

I have to think the church has a process in place. Not easy to do.
ashtonhsmith

Post by ashtonhsmith »

The year to year deadlines are only for tax benefits. If your Mom overpaid tithing last year, just have her underpay this year until she is balanced out. The amount of tithing paid is between your Mom and the Lord. The measurement of year-end and tithing settlement is arbitrary for tax and reporting purposes. The spirit of paying tithing is more long term in commitments and habits.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”