Resetting the Portal valid date

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
eyoungberg

Resetting the Portal valid date

Post by eyoungberg »

Portal status valid date
Portal status valid date
Accepted.PNG (13.46 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
What is the process to reset this date before it is reached?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Resetting the Portal valid date

Post by russellhltn »

I've not seen that. I'm sure In normal use, it should reset itself.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
coombs1

Post by coombs1 »

We now have no portal access at the Mapleton FHC. They DID NOT reset themselves last night during the update. We have frustrated patrons who came specifically to use the portal yesterday and were unable to access what they needed. Please advise.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

coombs1 wrote:Please advise.
I would suggest you contact the Family History Department help desk and let them know what has happened.
coombs1

Post by coombs1 »

We have done that also.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

coombs1 wrote:We have done that also.
Were they able to fix the problem for you? This is a user-to-user forum, so often we do not know how many of these challenges are finally resolved.
coombs1

Post by coombs1 »

They haven't got back to us yet.
ShawLH
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ShawLH »

Summary:
Get Tivoli BigFix working.

Some Details:
Is IBM Tivoli BigFix running? It is listed as the "BES Service" in the Services.msc control panel. The FHC Services Portal requires that Tivoli is working. There is a daily task that gets ran via Tivoli that updates specific code on the system, then upon reboot, the computer re-authenticates itself with the FHC Services Portal's administration server. That authentication lasts for 60 days, so your systems have been broken for that much time.

If the BES Service is running, you may launch the "View Log" tool (Start menu - Programs - FHC Support Tools folder) to see if there are any obvious errors with the Tivoli BigFix client's ability to communicate with its servers. If there is a problem, in the log file you will see reoccurring communication failures every 5 or 6 lines. If this is the case, you should reinstall Tivoli. (There is no need to uninstall. Simply reinstall over the top.) You can download the installation package from https://familysearch.org/remote/centers.html.

If you are using Deep Freeze on your systems in your center, then you need to make sure that you have implemented the Deep Freeze client configuration correctly by utilizing the recommended batch file that is included with the Deep Freeze package download.

If Tivoli is working, then there is a need to do more advanced troubleshooting, which at that point in time I recommend getting in touch with the support team at FamilySearch.
ShawLH
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by ShawLH »

An Additional Note and FIX:
I did some further digging and found that one of the Tivoli BigFix Fixlets/Actions was not working correctly. Systems with Deep Freeze on them, even though they were going into a thawed or maintenance state, Tivoli would never successfully "unlock" these systems to receive updates. This would stop the underlying FHC Service Portal process that obtains a new set of credentials from ever running. Thus it never got an updated date and the associated credentials.

I do not know how long this was broken. According to the Maple FHC's problem, at least since March. I do not know if this affected all systems or just some of them. The command that was used previously to unlock systems has worked for at least 5 years, so why it stopped working is a good question. Probably a "feature" released in some Tivoli update made by IBM.

Return to “Family History Centers”