Audio Splitter for podium

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Audio Splitter for podium

Post by lajackson »

Here, If you do not have VGA, USB, or HDMI out, you need to provide your own cable from your device. We can usually connect whatever is at the end of your cable into our system, but we do not keep cables that connect to devices. Everyone has a different cell phone/tablet/whatever device.

Of course, if we were ever to receive specific information from a visiting GA, we could always run out to the store on Saturday morning and get something, I suppose.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

johnshaw wrote:Including AV needs is good, I'd love to see the note mentioned above sent along as well. One issue with only sending this to the stake president is the 'lost in translation' information. I think a separate note to the stake clerk and STS and really help is know that resources are available from FM to support these requirements.
Sadly, I can not help here. communications to the Stake President reside squarely in the ecclesiastical channel.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

StevePoulsen wrote:Sadly, I can not help here. communications to the Stake President reside squarely in the ecclesiastical channel.
In actual practice, we find that most general authorities show up and review technological capabilities/desires during the initial meeting with the stake presidency. Based on our normal schedule, that gives us about an hour to transfer/download any specific videos or AV presentations.

And without exception, all have said they knew how to work a chalk and eraser board, if needed. And all who have been outside of the country will regale us with stories of teaching entirely by the Spirit, with nothing to get in the way.

To address the topic, we do not use an audio splitter for the podium. Whatever goes through the chapel sound system, be it pulpit mike, wireless or other handheld mike, choir mikes plugged into the building sound system, or organ, also goes out on the Webcast. Devices plug into the system through a crab box or, in newer setups, through inputs at the side of the pulpit.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

StevePoulsen wrote:
johnshaw wrote:Including AV needs is good, I'd love to see the note mentioned above sent along as well. One issue with only sending this to the stake president is the 'lost in translation' information. I think a separate note to the stake clerk and STS and really help is know that resources are available from FM to support these requirements.
Sadly, I can not help here. communications to the Stake President reside squarely in the ecclesiastical channel.
But there is a second mechanism, the mailing list to clerks. Knowledge of this Kit is pretty important and should be disseminated.... Not to stake presidency, but to the clerks and STS.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

What I did in my stake center (with the blessing of my facility manager), is I rerouted the pulpit microphone to another mixer. Plugged into that mixer a wireless microphone system (that is permanent in the chapel), added inputs for 3.5mm audio from key locations in the chapel (pulpit, stake clerk desk, pulpit controls pedestal). The output of that mixer is then fed back to the pulpit where the pulpit microphone originally is plugged in.

This works very well for our needs, and requires no changes on a event level basis for different functions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rl_albright wrote:What I did in my stake center (with the blessing of my facility manager), is I rerouted the pulpit microphone to another mixer. Plugged into that mixer a wireless microphone system (that is permanent in the chapel), added inputs for 3.5mm audio from key locations in the chapel (pulpit, stake clerk desk, pulpit controls pedestal). The output of that mixer is then fed back to the pulpit where the pulpit microphone originally is plugged in.
I do something like that for stake conference. Normally the podium mic is connected direct to the sound system as usual. One less thing to go wrong.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

russellhltn wrote:
rl_albright wrote:What I did in my stake center (with the blessing of my facility manager), is I rerouted the pulpit microphone to another mixer. Plugged into that mixer a wireless microphone system (that is permanent in the chapel), added inputs for 3.5mm audio from key locations in the chapel (pulpit, stake clerk desk, pulpit controls pedestal). The output of that mixer is then fed back to the pulpit where the pulpit microphone originally is plugged in.
I do something like that for stake conference. Normally the podium mic is connected direct to the sound system as usual. One less thing to go wrong.
The only difference for us is.... this is permanent in our building. So anyone can use it, without me having to set it up prior for them. (The beauty of why I did it this way.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As long as the added mixer doesn't become a problem (not powered up, someone turned off the podium input, etc.)

The important thing is that your FM group is OK with it. Doing it without that their OK will create problems down the road.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

russellhltn wrote:As long as the added mixer doesn't become a problem (not powered up, someone turned off the podium input, etc.)

The important thing is that your FM group is OK with it. Doing it without that their OK will create problems down the road.
I understand your concerns, it has been running just fine (*knock on wood*) for about 2 years now. The wireless microphone system has a relay system put into the power cord so that a small button enables the power at the podium control pedestal. The mixer I specifically selected because it is designed to stay powered on. The mixer is in a secure area, where a normal person would not be able to turn it off. And the whole system functions fluidly with the existing sound system. :)
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

This works very well for our needs, and requires no changes on a event level basis for different functions.
Please do tell, what mixer (that can stay on all the time) are you using?

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”