Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Post by russellhltn »

kellymab wrote:They could at least announce the English hymn number.
Are the hymnals by language or by country? I wouldn't expect to find "America the Beautiful" or "Star-Spangled Banner" in England or Canada.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Are the hymnals by language or by country? I wouldn't expect to find "America the Beautiful" or "Star-Spangled Banner" in England or Canada.
Language. For a fully developed language, the hymnal will have about two thirds of the hymns in the English hymnal. Priesthood leaders are authorized to add an appropriate national hymn or anthem as an insert with proper approvals. So the two hymns you mention are available in England and the English-speaking part of Canada, although they probably never sing them. The French-speaking part of Canada uses the hymnal that includes my favorite hymn, which is not translated into English.

Because we have Spanish-speaking units in our stake, we have an English to Spanish hymn number conversion chart, and effort is made to select hymns that are also in the Spanish hymnal.

For some meetings, we also use the hymn chart that shows which hymns the organ can play from its memory banks. That also runs at about two thirds of the hymnal, but doesn't always correspond to the list of available Spanish hymns.

Music and its translation is a complicated business. In Spanish, for example, some of the hymn "translations" do not even have the same meaning because of the difficulty in staying within the limits of the composed music.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

kellymab wrote:All this means is that we need to have more hymn chase exercises in addition to scripture chases.
I like that idea! :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kellymab wrote:All this means is that we need to have more hymn chase exercises in addition to scripture chases.
Nah, what this means is that we need to revive some 90's TV technology. We just open up our hymn app and the app will pick up some audio cue tones and flip to the right hymn. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

russellhltn wrote:
Nah, what this means is that we need to revive some 90's TV technology. We just open up our hymn app and the app will pick up some audio cue tones and flip to the right hymn. ;)
Or... incorporate the Shazam / SoundHound algorithm into the LDSMusic app. :roll:
Astounding

Post by Astounding »

I'm still skeptical of the purported explanation. The text was missing also from scripture quotes during talks. The lovely backgrounds were well prepared with non-busy areas where text could be overlaid and be clearly readable and visible. But there was no text. This happened at least via the YouTube live feed I was watching. That makes me think the hymn thing and the missing quotes thing is something more, a technical glitch.

Quote text was (is still?) missing also in Elder Oaks' talk via the LDS.ORG single-talk video stream that I watched on Monday.

Even if the hymn text part is as has been reasoned, I'll betcha the lyrics are back after feedback in October!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Astounding wrote:That makes me think the hymn thing and the missing quotes thing is something more, a technical glitch.
My guess, and this is just a personal opinion because I have no insider information, is that the person who used to do it retired or left and was not replaced. Now obviously, if they wanted to do it, they could get someone else to do it.

However, I actually believe the explanation is the same for both the hymn lyrics and the scripture quotes: English is no longer the primary language of the members around the world.

That said, until this conference not every talk displayed scriptures. Most did not. I think it may have been a preference of the speaker, some sort of special request they could make if they wished to include that, or more likely, some of the pictures we have seen in the past. It will be interesting to see what happens next conference.

But I don't think the lyrics are coming back. Again, my own personal opinion. I would be delighted to be wrong.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:But I don't think the lyrics are coming back.
Not without breaking up the video feed into multiple feeds.

There's always Closed Captioning. The newer Epson has CC decoding built-in.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:There's always Closed Captioning. The newer Epson has CC decoding built-in.
I spoke with several people who turned on closed captioning when the hymn lyrics did not appear. But the CC did not appear fast enough to sing with the congregation.
happy2bmickey

Post by happy2bmickey »

This is so sad to me. Our congregation in India was just at a loss. There were investigators and members who would have attempted to sing if the words had been there. So what if there are English lyrics across the bottom of the screen. What does it hurt? Please bring back the words! it adds so much the Spirit of General Conference.

Return to “General Discussions”