Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Hagothsen

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Post by Hagothsen »

I wrote up this long diatribe about why I think this is such a bad idea. Then I realized it was just Satan trying to get me to stir up contention. Clearly, I've already forgotten counsel from President Uchtdorf, Sister Jones, and a dozen other speakers from the past two days.

Oh well.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I was disappointed that nobody spoke in their native language besides English this conference, like they have recently.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:I was disappointed that nobody spoke in their native language besides English this conference, like they have recently.
I'll bet the people doing the production breathed a sigh of relief when they discovered that. It sounds like it could be a technical nightmare with the audio re-routing for one talk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Hagothsen wrote:I wrote up this long diatribe about why I think this is such a bad idea.
I miss the hymn lyrics, too. But I understand why they did it.

It does mean I will have to change my habits, i.e., have LDS Hymns handy and pray the hymn will load before the first verse is over. (Oops. Loading speed off topic. Sorry.)
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

sbradshaw wrote:I was disappointed that nobody spoke in their native language besides English this conference, like they have recently.
I'd like to hear speakers give thier talks and bare their testimonies in their native tongues, with subtitles instead of voice overs. I think that would be a much bigger step in embracing our worldwide nature, than simply jettisoning the English subtitles for the congregational hymns. Of course, we're hampered by the one stream for the whole world problem. Why couldn't we start with English, French, Spanish and Portuguese, then add additional language streams in time? "For it shall come to pass in that day, that every man shall hear the fulness of the gospel in his own tongue, and in his own language..."

I'd love to be a part of making that happen.
mworley88

Post by mworley88 »

I, too, would love a return to having native speakers able to choose to speak in their native tongue-- whether subtitles or audio dubbing is used. My understanding is some people prefer the English-only way and that may have influenced the return to that custom. As such, I'd love to my voice in the opposite way be heard-- even though I sustain fully any choice the brethren make in this matter.
painaz

Post by painaz »

While I understand that the same feed is broadcast worldwide, the hymns are still all sung in english. Please bring back the subtitles. While I know lost of the lyrics for all verses to most familiar hymns, my youth and children do not, since we no longer have SS opening exercises to practice them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

painaz wrote:the hymns are still all sung in english.
The lyrics in question is for the congregational hymns. I'd expect the congregation to sing those the local language.

I also suspect we've reached the point where we have more non-English people watching than English.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I'd expect the congregation to sing those the local language.
If the hymn has been translated into the local language.

One conference speaker quoted a Portuguese hymn that is not in the English hymnal. One of my favorite hymns is in the French hymnal and is not available in English.

What a wonderful world in which we live.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I'd expect the congregation to sing those the local language.
If the hymn has been translated into the local language.
I'd expect the music director to be watchful of major missteps in that area. At least avoid congregational songs that haven't been translated into a language with a large viewership. I'd imagine there's a list somewhere of "acceptable" songs. <grin>

Return to “General Discussions”