My Notes Does Not Show Highlighted Verse Reference Nor Highlighted Scripture

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
mugwump

My Notes Does Not Show Highlighted Verse Reference Nor Highlighted Scripture

Post by mugwump »

Hello.

I am using Chrome 57.0.2987.110 to access My Notes. My highlighted scripture verse number and text do not display correctly in My Notes. I only see the verse reference (not book and chapter) and where I should see the actual text, I only have "empty" quotation marks. I checked this in Explorer and have the same issue. My Notes DO display correctly on my Android app - so they are there. :D

I attached a screen shot so you can see what I mean. What can I do to fix this - so I can see book and chapter as well as the verse number and the actual text itself?

Thank you!
Attachments
2017-3-18 LDS.org My Notes blank scripture reference.JPG
2017-3-18 LDS.org My Notes blank scripture reference.JPG (11.32 KiB) Viewed 2785 times
rjcluff

Re: My Notes Does Not Show Highlighted Verse Reference Nor Highlighted Scripture

Post by rjcluff »

I have the same situation, but can add that it appears this is happening with highlighted scripture, and also "I Have A Question" pages of the Ensign (https://www.lds.org/ensign/1999/02/i-ha ... g=eng&_r=1). Highlighted text in conference addresses and other material seem to display properly in Notes.
terrellcook

Re: My Notes Does Not Show Highlighted Verse Reference Nor Highlighted Scripture

Post by terrellcook »

I have the same issue. I notice that the IOS app doesn't have the issue. Must be only on the website.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The best way to get this to the LDS.org support team is through the Feedback link at the bottom of LDS.org – they can route it to the developers. The LDS.org study tools haven't been updated for a while, unfortunately.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I just realized I'm having the same issue. It keeps my notes and tags, but the content and link to the article are missing. In particular, I seem to be experiencing this with April 2017 General Conference. I recently started studying it and went back to look at some notes, which contain little information in the Notes view. If I open the article, I see everything fine. Other content I've highlighted, such as an old Ensign article or content from a Teachings of the Presidents of the Church book, seem to come across fine.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I submitted this problem to feedback. At first they told me it was because I was using both the Gospel Library app and the web at the same time. I pointed out that all of my experience was using web alone without the Gospel Library app. It's been passed on for further review.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I received an update about the problem from the Feedback people...thought I'd pass it on for others experiencing the problem:
I discussed the issue you have brought up with the Gospel Library app developers and they have said that the problem is with Notes online. They are not yet upgraded to the new content format like the mobile apps that allow rich text formatting in all the content on LDS.org. One particular thing that isn't supported is quotation marks as straight text that is supported means no formatting or special characters. If you are running the mobile app on an IOS or Android device quotes in notes will save, but they won't transfer whatever is between the actual note between the quotes during the annotation syncing process.
I'm not sure I quite follow the feedback, but I guess it refers to the fact that we see quotes with no text and that's because it's not supported yet online due to the new formatting.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It sounds like the feedback team doesn't know what the issue is – I'm not able to parse a full answer out of that response either... :) In any case, I'm sure they were able to pass it on to the developers.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mevans wrote:I'm not sure I quite follow the feedback, . . .
Think of it this way. The Android and iOS app teams each have done wonders with notes, highlights, and all things non-scriptural. However, there has been very little or no development effort to improve those things at LDS.org until recently. And yet LDS.org is the central brain that coordinates, processes and transfers on the data.

So, some things pass through from device to device because LDS.org has no objection and just sends them on. Others things get muddled up because LDS.org knows it is supposed to be replicating these displays and then sending them on, or something is complicated enough that LDS.org just does not know how to process it.

Ideally, all of this will improve as LDS.org gets up to speed with the latest features. In the meantime, some things survive the transition through the gatekeeper, and others do not.

Specific to the feedback you received, Notes at LDS.org does not yet handle special characters, including "curly" quotes (as opposed to normal quotes). So it does not know how to display them or pass them on. Special characters will save just fine on the device you use to enter them, but will not sync to LDS.org or pass through to other devices because LDS.org does not understand anything except straight ASCII text, at least for now.
andyritallen

Post by andyritallen »

My notes, though showing that there is a highlight and tag, will not display the associated scripture verse. The tags and highlights are now useless to me because I cannot easily discern where the highlight is nor use the notes to study from since the associated scripture references are no longer visible. This problem just occurred yesterday. Two days ago this problem did not exist for me. HELP!!

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”