deceased member record number

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Parkga

deceased member record number

Post by Parkga »

I need to find the membership record number of a deceased member of my ward. He passed way in March or April of 2016. How can I do that?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: deceased member record number

Post by lajackson »

Parkga wrote:I need to find the membership record number of a deceased member of my ward.
I don't know why you would be able to get it if he were living. I can think of no compelling reason you should have it now that he is no longer alive. And I cannot think of any reason at all you would need to have it now.

But to answer your question, if you were able to convince your bishop there was a need, and if your ward clerk kept a record of the membership transactions, they might be able to find it for you. It might also be in a temple recommend book if he had one issued less than two years ago.
Parkga

Post by Parkga »

I got the membership record number from his widow. I am actually looking for donations he made before he died to assist his widow with tax documentation. Any help there?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That may be in the ward's records where he donated.

Even with a MRN, you won't be able to find all his donations if some of them were not associated with his MRN for any reason. Perhaps the ward donated to didn't associate the donor with the MRN/membership record, or he may have used a LDS Account that didn't have his MRN.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I believe the LDS Accounts are disabled when members die, so you won't be able to get in even with his MRN. You'll have to work with the clerk to get what you need. If the clerk doesn't have it available he can get it by contacting CHQ.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Parkga wrote:I am actually looking for donations he made before he died to assist his widow with tax documentation.
Speak with your ward clerk. As russellhltn mentioned, he can get help from Church headquarters if needed.

And as jonesrk said, I know from personal experience that the LDS Account sign on stops working within a day after a death is recorded on a membership record.
beckstoy

Post by beckstoy »

Parkga wrote:I need to find the membership record number of a deceased member of my ward. He passed way in March or April of 2016. How can I do that?
FYI. I am in the Bishopric, and I found the MRN of a deceased member in the Temple Recommend Folder records from 3 years ago. (Died 1 year ago).

(The spouse of the deceased member needed the MRN to request Line of Authority from CHQ).

Return to “Membership Help”