Sophos not updated since January 2017

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
slmsz20

Sophos not updated since January 2017

Post by slmsz20 »

Noticed on the clerk computers in my stake that Sophos has stopped updating since January 10, 2017 (the Windows error message popped up for spyware/adware protection). I will call support this week to see what is going on (Sophos installs with the image from the management client, so it's hard to get rid of). If sophos support is dying at the church tech support level then we should at least be able to turn back on the microsoft virus scanner.

All the machines are running Windows 10.
The sophos updater runs like normal after a bootup but nothing actually updates (the "update successful" message will popup, but if you check the actual virus software files they will remain at the old January 10th detection file).
Biggles

Re: Sophos not updated since January 2017

Post by Biggles »

Interesting. I've been seeing this message quite regularly recently, on the Stake and Ward Clerk computers (Both in the same building, different rooms). Both running W10. Sophos however has updated on both,
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'll have to check on our machines. There's two possibilities: The church servers are not updating (Sophos is directed to a church site for the updates), or for some reason our version of Sophos is outdated and no longer supported. I seem to remember some issues where Sophos got behind and was no longer on the current version.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just checked our stake computer. It's a Win7 machine that was updated to Win10 some time back. The "last updated" is today's date and the product version is 10.6. If your version is prior to 10.6, then that's probably the problem. I'd go back to the lds download and re-download and install it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
slmsz20

Post by slmsz20 »

The version is 10.6 and they are updated computers from windows 7 to 10. The download reinstalls it but does not fix the update issue (the reinstall acts more like a repair than a full uninstall reinstall). 10.6 is not the most recent version of sophos, 10.7 is the current version listed on the sophos website (though 10.6 is the version the church uses for clerk computers currently).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What server is your machine pointed to? I'm wondering if one of the church servers isn't updating.

slmsz20

Post by slmsz20 »

http://ldssr4d.ldschurch.org/.....

I checked the logs and it appears every time it checks (whether a forced through the shield icon or the login update) it sends a skip downloading message for each product. Basically the update tool is going through the motions only and not actually pulling anything down.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

slmsz20 wrote:ldssr4d.ldschurch.org
Interesting. That's the same one as our stake machine is on - and it's up to date.

Unless someone has a better idea, I'd suggest downloading something like Malwarebytes trial and see if you find anything. I think a number of malware programs will block AV updates so as to not get caught.

slmsz20

Post by slmsz20 »

A Windows 10 sophos fix was pushed by the tech plugin in early march (requires the sophos password to run) so I'll see if that fixes anything this week (have to call in to get the password first). Guessing someone saw a few problems happening with Windows 10 and pushed something out, unfortunately you can't just install it.

Return to “Clerk Computers”