881W firewall limiting port throughput

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: 881W firewall limiting port throughput

Post by russellhltn »

harddrive wrote:the throughput for download does depend on a few things.
Indeed. Depending on the ISP's network, and the load placed on the ISP by your neighbors, you might not get the full rated speed from your site to the ISP's head office. Since the speed test may not be located with the ISP, you're also testing to see if the connection from the ISP to the Internet can support your share of the traffic. And then there's the possibility that that the ISP is having to impose some kind of restriction to maintain everyone's service level depending on the current level of demand.

Bottom line, the ISP's promise of service is not a calibrated value. From Mikerowaved's test, we know what the 881W is capable of, but without testing the ISP directly, we can't be sure if it's the limiting factor.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dariushall

Post by dariushall »

Hagothsen wrote:4 years later ...

Any update? We have a genealogy event coming up in our stake, and one of the organizers believes he has managed to get a temporary bump in internet speed. However, we are still saddled with the 881w. Every time I get assistance from the GSC the techs always mention that our firewalls are some of the oldest they've seen. Our FM manager has said we're scheduled for replacement this year. With what, and when, who knows? Something tells me it will be more of the same.
Rumor has it that gigabit ethernet will be coming to meetinghouses soon - likely within the year. That should help a fair amount.

On current hardware, at least with the 881 series firewalls, experience has shown that the max download we see out of those is generally around 85mbps.

If speed seems to be an issue, calling into the GSC to getting them to check the speed and duplex settings as well as maybe updating potentially out-dated scripts is a good solution.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

dariushall wrote:Rumor has it that gigabit ethernet will be coming to meetinghouses soon - likely within the year. That should help a fair amount.
I could see this for new installations or a scheduled building overhaul, but I can't see how upgrading to GigE will help if the ISP is serving up anything less than say, 80 Mbps, which I assume is the vast majority of buildings.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

dariushall, where did you hear that rumor? Also, to get gigabit Ethernet, I would say it would depend on location because I have buildings that are way out and most of the time in residential area and they are lucky to get Comcast. Also the cost to go to gigabit Ethernet may be too high. I work as a contractor for federal government agency and the cost for a gigabit circuit from a national carrier under a contract is well into the 4 digit range.

I know that in my area, that very few if any of my buildings would ever get gigabit Ethernet and for that matter, who would provide that service? I don't believe that Comcast would ever offer that and I know that the church has a national contract with Comcast.
tlhackett
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by tlhackett »

Hagothsen wrote:Our FM manager has said we're scheduled for replacement this year. With what, and when, who knows? Something tells me it will be more of the same.
Yes, there is a major firewall upgrade scheduled for later this year and extending into next year. The Cisco firewalls (all models of the 881 firewall) are going out of warranty and need to be replaced as soon as possible.
Hagothsen wrote:With all 5 firewalls, 881s all, I have to call the GSC to get them to manually set the WAN port to full duplex, otherwise we're capped at 10. If a firewall gets refreshed, it defaults back to auto, and I have to enlist the GSC to get back over 10
This is because currently the templates for meetinghouses don't allow for custom scripts. If there isn't a variable in the configuration to allow site specific settings, that custom change gets overwritten whenever updates are pushed out. With the firewall upgrade, this shouldn't be an issue anymore. This is because the internet connection will be configured locally on the new firewall and cannot be changed by configuration updates.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

Straight out of the Cox Router:

Plugged into Port1 of the 881w:

Behind the switch:

Stake Clerk's office on the other end of the building (Wired Ethernet):

WiFi is another matter altogether, but that's to be expected.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”