Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Gospel Library 4.0 for Android

Post by sbradshaw »

robertcc wrote:I have a RCA tablet - https://www.walmart.com/ip/45804384?wml ... 3=&veh=sem

The old version of GL worked fine. This new version will not play audio. I have tried scriptures and Ensign. When I push the play button, no sound comes out and the progress bar does not move.
Are you connected to the internet? If not, have you downloaded the audio files to your device (after the upgrade)?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
rvwright

Post by rvwright »

The new version really sucks up my data plan. Not sure why. I used to listen to a lot of audio with the old version, and it didn't seem to be a problem. Now after only a week with the new version and listening in my car, just like I always did, my data plan is maxed out because of Gospel Library. i wish I could go back to the old version, but can't figure out how.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In the past month, it's pulled 25MB. That's without any audio or video. Just one handbook and a couple of issues of the Ensign. I'm not sure what the baseline should be. I opened it recently and it seemed to have re-downloaded content for some reason. It's not set to auto-update.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

rvwright wrote:The new version really sucks up my data plan. Not sure why. I used to listen to a lot of audio with the old version, and it didn't seem to be a problem. Now after only a week with the new version and listening in my car, just like I always did, my data plan is maxed out because of Gospel Library.
Did you have the audio downloaded before, or have you always just streamed the audio? You can download the audio by opening a chapter, then from the overflow menu choose Download Media and tap the option to download all audio for the book. If you have the audio pre-downloaded, it won't need any data to play.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rvwright wrote:The new version really sucks up my data plan. Not sure why.
I suspect it is partly because every time you open GL it goes out and synchronizes your annotations. Mine also downloaded the complete library three times before it settled down, but I forced two of them to happen on WiFi.
pzkpfwk

Post by pzkpfwk »

I'm sure someone has already talked about this, but I can't see it in this forum, so I'm bringing it anyway.
The current version can not search non-roman characters, it won't even let me switch the input method.
I am a Chinese user. Although searching Chinese in the previous versions of GL is not ideal, it was usable.
(Chinese searching is based on the index, you have to search as they expecting you to search. For example, there are results for "Atonement", but no results for "Jesus Atonement")
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

rvwright wrote:The new version really sucks up my data plan. Not sure why. I used to listen to a lot of audio with the old version, and it didn't seem to be a problem. Now after only a week with the new version and listening in my car, just like I always did, my data plan is maxed out because of Gospel Library. i wish I could go back to the old version, but can't figure out how.
There's a link to it in this thread (posted by me, on p5, 17 Dec 2016). Here are instructions:

1) Uninstall the Gospel Library app. (You'll have to re-download everything.)

2) Download the file at the link in this thread.

3) Open the file - it should give a security warning, with an option to choose "OK" (or similar) to change the settings, which will take you to the setting you need to change, and you can check the box to allow installs from "Unknown sources", and when you check it, it should give you the option to do it just for this one install. Then it should install the old version.

4) You'll have to do the setup and downloads again.

After this, you have to be careful not to allow automatic updates on this app, and not to "update all" via the store (or it will install the new version). This makes updates a pain as you have to opt to do each one individually (unless your version has different options than mine), but since the GL is my primary app, and the new one is not in an acceptable condition for me, I deal. (At least, if there's a way to say "never update this app" (which is not the same as "don't automatically update this app"), I can't find it.)

Liz
JohnDyson

Post by JohnDyson »

I have a question. Is there a way in Gospel Library 4.0 to show scriptures in two languages side by side, for instance in Japanese and in English?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

JohnDyson wrote:I have a question. Is there a way in Gospel Library 4.0 to show scriptures in two languages side by side, for instance in Japanese and in English?
Yes – if you are on Android 7 (Nougat):
  1. Make sure you have the scriptures downloaded in both languages. Also, make sure the "Show Screens as Separate Windows" option is enabled. This allows each "screen" to appear as if it's a separate app in the Android overview.
  2. Open a second screen. The fastest way to do this is from the overflow menu (three dots in the top right corner) > New Screen.
  3. Activate Android split screen and place the two Gospel Library screens side by side.
  4. Navigate to the same content (in different languages) in both screens. If you already have the content open in one screen, a fast way to get the same content open in the other screen is by opening the chapter from Saved Locations (combined screens/bookmarks icon) > History, then switching the language.
On a Chromebook that supports running Android apps, the separate Gospel Library screens can be resized and dragged around like regular windows.

If you're on a previous version of Android, or on iOS or Windows, there's not currently a way to do this.
michaelbabbel

Post by michaelbabbel »

Please bring back the text to speech feature. Not only valuable when traveling outside of coverage, but also for any and all content (family proclamation as and example) that do not feature voice over.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”