Notes go with which verse?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Notes go with which verse?

Post by sbradshaw »

ebyers wrote:Sam, thanks for the reply. I find it curious that this change would be made since before this update, the IOS version did show my notes, etc. in the Related Content. Did they have to re-write a section of code which effectively removed that feature - and now is pending an additional revision?
Yes, user-created notes will be coming back to the related content sidebar on iOS. I don't have a timeline on how soon, though.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

andyrosenberg wrote:We have another issue that when we mark in the app (iPhone/iPad) or on lds.org on our computer, the markings do not appear on the same word/s when we go from the app to lds.org or vice-versa. We've contacted "tech support" for months with no response. Anyone else run into this? Any solutions?
Do you have an example?
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

This morning we did a test. My wife highlighted the word "learning" in 1Ne1:1 on her iPad, and the highlight appeared on the word "and" 5 words later on lds.org.
Then in Ex15:25 she highlighted the phrase "where were twelve wells of water, and threescore and ten palm trees: and they encamped there by the waters." It didn't show up on lds.org at all, and on her iPhone it only highlighted "where were twelve wells of water"
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

andyrosenberg wrote:This morning we did a test. My wife highlighted the word "learning" in 1Ne1:1 on her iPad, and the highlight appeared on the word "and" 5 words later on lds.org.
Then in Ex15:25 she highlighted the phrase "where were twelve wells of water, and threescore and ten palm trees: and they encamped there by the waters." It didn't show up on lds.org at all, and on her iPhone it only highlighted "where were twelve wells of water"
This seems to be a serious issue that I was able to reproduce. I'll follow up with a few people about it. Gospel Library for iOS and Android seem to play fine with each other, but it seems that LDS.org isn't playing according to the rules. I know an update to the LDS.org study tools is in the works, but I have no idea what their timeline is. I think highlights getting shifted should be an important enough issue for them to do a small patch release of some sort... Our worst nightmare is permanently messing up someone's annotations.
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

Thanks! I sure hope this happens quickly. My wife is so discouraged that as she has entered so much info and then it appears in specious places, or modified. She has stopped reading a book that she wanted to take several quotes from and enter them in her scriptures, because she's not sure where they'll end up.
Please let me know if you if/when you become aware of a patch.
dugnjes

Post by dugnjes »

sbradshaw wrote: Yes, user-created notes will be coming back to the related content sidebar on iOS. I don't have a timeline on how soon, though.
Any way you can step on some toes about this? I'd love to get this fix bumped to the top of the list. I too find it rather odd that my notes, which number in the hundreds, are separated from the other notes on each verse. Was user testing done on this feature (or any other)? If not, I'm glad to help on the next round. ;)
npk_techguy

Post by npk_techguy »

sbradshaw wrote: Yes, user-created notes will be coming back to the related content sidebar on iOS. I don't have a timeline on how soon, though.
Can you explain that a little? What do you mean by user created notes? Are those notes in a notebook or or those the notes linked to a highlight in the scriptures? Or both?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

npk_techguy wrote:
Can you explain that a little? What do you mean by user created notes? Are those notes in a notebook or or those the notes linked to a highlight in the scriptures? Or both?
Notes, links, or tags associated with highlighted text in a chapter or article.
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

Any suggestions for, what we discussed the other day, in the interim how best to handle notes not properly syncing between different devices and LDS.org?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

andyrosenberg wrote:Any suggestions for, what we discussed the other day, in the interim how best to handle notes not properly syncing between different devices and LDS.org?
No progress – I reported it to the LDS.org team but haven't heard back.
I haven't been able to reproduce incorrect syncing between devices – at least not on Gospel Library 4. From what I can tell, only LDS.org has the problem of highlights being shifted.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”