unconfirmed death

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
forresthickman

unconfirmed death

Post by forresthickman »

a postcard was sent to a Sister in our Ward who has alzheimer's (who lives at a care facility). the card came back from the post office with the words written "deceased" across it. that is the first time i have seen this.

the problem is, i have searched and searched to find an obituary etc, and come up empty.

the facility she lived in won't give any information out at all (HIPPA laws), so i don't know what to do. i used to Home Teach her up until about 9-10 months ago, so i don't know when she died, or how to get a hold of any family to find out. the current Home Teachers have never gone to see her, so getting any information from them won't be helpful.

thanks for any help
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: unconfirmed death

Post by lajackson »

forresthickman wrote:the facility she lived in won't give any information out at all (HIPPA laws), so i don't know what to do.
If she truly is deceased, the care facility should not have any HIPPA problem with giving you a date of death.

The morgue will have public records if the body went there. The funeral homes in the area will have a record if one of them processed the deceased.

She may still be alive and the care facility mismarked the mail, which the Postal Service then returned to you.
forresthickman

Post by forresthickman »

update..... i went to the care facility myself today. the person at the front desk said they would never write "deceased" on the envelope. she also talked to the people who work in the area where she lived and no one knows her. these are all new employees who have been there for 9 months. so she either moved, or she is deceased.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

forresthickman wrote:so she either moved, or she is deceased.
So, you're back where you started. Care facilities are not cheap and generally have a limit as to the level of care they can provide. She may have been forced to relocate to cheaper care, or perhaps became too sick to remain with them. You just don't know.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”