Contact Phone Number for Church Finance HQ

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Lynchfam27

Contact Phone Number for Church Finance HQ

Post by Lynchfam27 »

Does anyone know a contact number for the Church Headquarters finance department.

I'm a brand new Ward Clerk and the first week in we had a financial audit. Apparently there has been an un-reconciled balance on our books for about three years or more. They believe it dates back to when the electronic record was first set up in MLS for our ward. The Stake auditor told us that after him reviewing it three times and the stake clerks not being able to figure it out, we should contact church headquarters in order to see about writing off the balance.

He however did not have a number and I haven't had much luck finding what looks like an appropriate number online. Any help is appreciated.

Alternatively, if anyone has seen or resolved a similar problem tracking down a very old unreconciled balance, please share any advice. I'm not completely resolved to writing this balance off, but haven't had much of a chance to review it with our finance clerk. I have an accounting background though, so I'd think I might be able to figure it out.
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

You might first read these two articles on the Reconcile:

1.)Who Can I contact for Reconcile Help?

2.)Reconciliation Instructions

Both of these articles contain valuable information on tracking down old unreconciled differences.
Caleb
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Lynch27 wrote:Does anyone know a contact number for the Church Headquarters finance department.
For the particular issue you are dealing with, the Finance and Records Department help line (MLS finance issues) is 1-800-537-5932. Do not call this number unless the stake clerk for finances has directed you to do so. Have as much detail about the issue as you can ready. You will be asked if you have contacted your stake clerk for help. They will not work with you unless you answer in the affirmative.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dfresh204

Re: Contact Phone Number for Church Finance HQ

Post by dfresh204 »

I'm a ward member in the Escondido (Bear Valley Ward), California. I was told all tithing is now available online. I worked overseas in 2014. I did not owe Federal Income taxes and was living overseas the last two years and did not have access to my tax documentation and forms overseas. If you do not owe Federal Taxes - you don't have to file during the actual tax year. I presumed since all the tithing information is online I could go to my own personal LDS account and print out my federal tax tithing report for OFFICIAL Federal Taxes. I guess this is NOT the case. I need my OFFICIAL Tax documentation for the YEAR 2014. I would really appreciate a emailed copy to my personal email address. Can I call someone to expedite this request. I would appreciate a phone number of someone I could speak with personally about this issue.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dfresh204 wrote:I need my OFFICIAL Tax documentation for the YEAR 2014.
I see it in my account. You may have an issue in that the ward you donated to didn't connect the donation to your Membership Record Number (MRN). In that case, what's on-line will not reflect all your donations. Then again, perhaps the fact you were out of country had something to do with it.

In that case, I'd work though your ward clerk. There's no one in the forum that would have access to your donation history.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

dfresh204 wrote:I'm a ward member in the Escondido (Bear Valley Ward), California. I was told all tithing is now available online. I worked overseas in 2014. I did not owe Federal Income taxes and was living overseas the last two years and did not have access to my tax documentation and forms overseas. If you do not owe Federal Taxes - you don't have to file during the actual tax year. I presumed since all the tithing information is online I could go to my own personal LDS account and print out my federal tax tithing report for OFFICIAL Federal Taxes. I guess this is NOT the case. I need my OFFICIAL Tax documentation for the YEAR 2014. I would really appreciate a emailed copy to my personal email address. Can I call someone to expedite this request. I would appreciate a phone number of someone I could speak with personally about this issue.
I didn't have any problem generating my 2014 official tax statement. But if your membership record was in a different country at the time it's possible that it won't allow you to generate a US tax statement for that year.

You'll need to work with your local ward or finance clerk. They can first see if they can print a statement for you (using the new Tithing Settlement part of the Leader and Clerk Resources site). If not, then they can call Local Unit Support on your behalf to ask for a statement.

The forums here are just user-to-user help so there isn't anyone here who can do anything directly.
maryyb

Post by maryyb »

With our stake boundaries realigned, the Tooele 27th ward has been deleted. Sadly my tithing payments on line have not transferred to my new ward, Tooele 15th ward. I have record from July thru December, 2017. I need to find that record for tax purposes. Please direct me accordingly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

maryyb wrote:Sadly my tithing payments on line have not transferred to my new ward,
Probably because your MRN wasn't associated with those donations. You'll have to go back to the prior ward.
maryyb wrote:With our stake boundaries realigned, the Tooele 27th ward has been deleted.
The stake is responsible for discontinued wards.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
galej1

Post by galej1 »

I usually pay tithing on line, however I sent a larger tithing check (#1101) that was deposited in your DSB account on Augus 7 2018.
The problem is the check was written on a different bank account number than the one attached to my account on-line, so
it was not credited to my tithing account. Can you tell me where my check was applied?
Joyce Gale
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

galej1 wrote:however I sent a larger tithing check (#1101) that was deposited in your DSB account on Augus 7 2018.
You'll have to contact your ward clerk to try and figure that out. Especially if you sent the check to the local ward.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”