How to discover the ward of a member?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
bronnergus

How to discover the ward of a member?

Post by bronnergus »

Hello,

I'd like to know to which Ward a relative of mine goes to. Contact has been lost so getting to know where he attends would greatly help. Is there any number I can call or any way to discover this information?

I don't want private information like his address or phone number. Just knowing his Ward will be enough.

I currently live in Brazil so I'd need the Brazilian contact information on this, if possible of course.

Thank you very much!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: How to discover the ward of a member?

Post by sbradshaw »

Hi, if you know an approximate address for your relative, you can search for their address at https://www.lds.org/maps/ and find out what ward(s) are associated with that address. There's no way to look up a member outside your stake by name. Hope this helps!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bronnergus

Post by bronnergus »

sbradshaw wrote:Hi, if you know an approximate address for your relative, you can search for their address at https://www.lds.org/maps/ and find out what ward(s) are associated with that address. There's no way to look up a member outside your stake by name. Hope this helps!
I was once the Ward Clerk and I know as a fact that the Church's offices have this information. I once had a LOT of trouble finding the registry of a members whose name was misspelled when she was baptized and I used a lot of time trying to locate that information.

I lost that number. It has been several years since I was released.

I'd like that contact again.

Thanks anyway.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You're correct that Church headquarters has access to all of the membership records; however, they are unlikely to provide information, for privacy and safety reasons, unless the person you're trying to contact is in your stewardship (i.e. a bishop or clerk trying to find the records of someone who lives in their ward).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
bronnergus

Post by bronnergus »

Still, I'd like to at least try.

Do you know any way I can contact Brazil's Church HQ?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bronnergus wrote:Still, I'd like to at least try.
Do you know any way I can contact Brazil's Church HQ?
Your stake president will know how to contact the area office for official Church matters. But as sbradshaw said, the Church does not provide directory service for members. If you are a priesthood leader or clerk with a specific reason to locate a membership record or contact the bishop of a member, the area office will assist you.
bronnergus

Post by bronnergus »

Thank you.

Return to “General Discussions”