Adding classes to 2017

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
AndreaHonch

Adding classes to 2017

Post by AndreaHonch »

I am trying to add classes to the 2017 year, but after selecting my auxiliary, when I go to the manuals drop down, no manuals are listed to assign. How can I fix this?
mevans

Re: Adding classes to 2017

Post by mevans »

The church has to add the 2017 manuals before you can set up 2017 lessons. We never know when they'll get the data update done for this, but hopefully it's before 2017 happens.
AndreaHonch

Post by AndreaHonch »

Great, thank you!
casper684

Post by casper684 »

Do I need to individually add all classes for the upcoming year? Newly created ward
and so I am inputting all classes for 2016 but 2017 not coming up automatically?
mevans

Post by mevans »

Yes, you need to add any classes you want every year.

You can add 2016 classes and lessons now. You can add 2017, but the manuals haven't been set up yet, so it's kind of pointless doing so. I have added 2017 events, such as general conference and stake conference, but that's it. If you don't know your 2017 dates, now is a good time to find out answers and put them on your Events. Here are some things to consider:
- General Conference. In some places in the world, this may or may not disrupt regular Sunday meetings, depending on connectivity and time delay, or the regular meetings may be held on the dominant holy day of the country, which may not be on a Sunday.
- Stake Conference
- Satellite Conference. This used to be one of the stake conferences every other year, but now it's an extra conference.
- Ward Conference: In some stakes there may be special classes that day, rather than the regular lessons. Figure out what you do in your stake. You may not want the regular lessons to flow to that date.
- Holidays: There might be a reason that regular "holy day" (usually Sunday) meetings are not held, such as a national observance. I don't know where this occurs, but it's an option, so it happens somewhere.
- Multi-stake meetings or stake sacrament meetings. I don't know how far in advance these are planned, so you may not know to put it as an exception. They seem to occur for boundary changes, but there may be other reasons.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:Holidays: There might be a reason that regular "holy day" (usually Sunday) meetings are not held, such as a national observance. I don't know where this occurs, but it's an option, so it happens somewhere.
I believe a perfect example will be December 25, 2016. From a First Presidency letter dated June 20, 2016; there will only be a sacrament meeting on that Sunday. So no classes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:
mevans wrote:Holidays: There might be a reason that regular "holy day" (usually Sunday) meetings are not held, such as a national observance. I don't know where this occurs, but it's an option, so it happens somewhere.
I believe a perfect example will be December 25, 2016. From a First Presidency letter dated June 20, 2016; there will only be a sacrament meeting on that Sunday. So no classes.
Oh, yeah. That is a holiday :) For some reason, I was thinking of no church, not no classes.

Another one to consider is temple dedications. Those usually replace church services for the Sunday in the temple district, and possibly in some surrounding areas. If you live in one of those areas, just plan that you're going to lose a Sunday and figure out in advance what your plan is: skip lessons, move everything forward, etc.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

Thank you for your comments. Sooooo very helpful and I will add the info to my ward webmaster
binder! I didn't know about Christmas either so that was good to know.

So my only other question is -- I have put in the "events" for 2017 but not allowed to choose classes they will preempt? I must redo when
manuals available?

What a wonderful site and everyone so helpful answering any questions especially those that may seem second nature to some.
mevans

Post by mevans »

It's one of those chicken/egg things. You can edit it later when you add the classes. Also, I believe if you choose "All" that it will work; I don't remember fully, as the last time I messed with this was last year around this time.

Come back and ask questions later if you have them after the data is available (make a separate question; don't add to this one). If you haven't done this before, you might get confused by the way some of the class information flows.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

casper684 wrote:I have put in the "events" for 2017 but not allowed to choose classes they will preempt? I must redo when manuals available?
Events are loaded first for the entire ward. When you load the lessons from the manuals for each class, they will skip the weeks where there are events already in place.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”