Primary Gospel Art Picture Kit Online?

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.
jack3

Primary Gospel Art Picture Kit Online?

Post by jack3 »

First time poster - may have this posted to the wrong forum - I apologize for that is this is the case.

I have searched everywhere on lds.org and can not find the Gospel Art Picture Kit that is connected to the "Primary 2 Chose The Right A Lesson Manual 34484". The lesson manual says under Helps for the Teacher, page viii, Teaching aids: "Pictures. Most of the pictures used in the lessons are numbered and included
in a packet that comes with the manual."

My question is: when you down load the lesson manual, these pictures are NOT included ( https://www.lds.org/languages/eng?lang=eng ). In the lesson manual download area on lds.org there is NO link or reference to these pictures. If you look at the content of the Gospel Art Book for these pictures, for the most part, the pictures are not included and there is no numbering system associated with the "2-image#" image reference number given in the lesson book. When you go to the online lesson manual ( https://www.lds.org/manual/primary-2/lesson-14?lang=eng ) and open the lesson chapter there are reference photos of the image to the right of the lesson manual but when you click on the image you get and error saying "Page Not Found". When you do a search for the art work you are referenced back to the Gospel Art Book which does not have the picture. This is ALL very frustrating.

Does anyone know where the pictures (the picture kit) associated with this manual is located?
rsidwell

Re: Primary Gospel Art Picture Kit Online?

Post by rsidwell »

https://sites.google.com/site/ldsmeetin ... ryprimary/

It isn't terribly easy to use; the pictures are organized by category, not manual. And the pictures are low resolution, barely big enough to show on a tablet. But you can at least preview them when preparing the lesson. The library should have the picture kits so you can use a real picture in class.

The site is self-labeled "Official Church Website"; I don't know how to verify that is really the case. But when I was asked to substitute teach a class awhile ago, I encountered the same issue and sent feedback to the church asking about it. The person who responded directed me to that website, so there is a good chance it might be official.

I suspect the reason the pictures aren't included in the download is copyright. The church obtained permission from the copyright holders to include pictures in the printed manuals long before the manuals were put online, and doesn't have permission to include the pictures in the online version. (Several hymns and primary songs are missing from the online version for this reason.)
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rsidwell wrote:The site is self-labeled "Official Church Website"; I don't know how to verify that is really the case.
I don't think it is actually trying to claim to be an official church website. I think that the box labeled 'Official Church Website' is merely stating that that box has the links to the official websites. If you follow the link to the blog, it states that it is not an official website.
jack3

Post by jack3 »

rsidwell:
Thank you for your response. Your comment about copyright makes a lot of sense regarding the pictures missing from the downloadable lesson manual as well as other locations on lds.org. To bad the people that so carefully publish the web site do not include comments in the lesson manual(s) download as well as the reference picture library's making a statement about the lack, or more to the point, the purposeful missing picture files so that people don't spend hours trying to figure out why.

By the way, thank you for the link as well. I had found that link and had searched that site as well. There were only two pictures from the Primary Gospel Art Picture Kit and none with the primary picture id number - you have to search photo by photo organized by picture topic or subject - crazy!
la1721

Post by la1721 »

I've been going through the same process, but I have found a couple solutions! It might be too late to help since you asked a few months ago...but I figured I would share if anyone else stumbles upon this. As Primary Secretary, I've been organizing the binders for next year and found a couple pictures were missing, so I just wanted to print those few items off.

You can purchase the entire kit for $4.00 from the LDS Online Store (store.lds.org). Just search for "Primary 2, Choose the Right A, Picture Packet Only" or whichever packet you need.

You can also download/print high-resolution pictures from the LDS Media Library (https://www.lds.org/media-library/images?lang=eng&_r=1). In the "Search Media" bar, you can type in a description or the exact reference from the manual (3-45) and it will pop right up! You can download it for mobile/tablet viewing, or print it off.

Hope that helps!
jack3

Post by jack3 »

Thanks for your comment. I had found the LDS Media Library and it was not helpful back at the time of my original post. Interesting that you suggest using the manual reference 3-45, which seems to work (found this works for any 3-x series of art). But try and 2-x series numbers. Maybe 10% are missing or not found. This is better than when I first made this post - at that time nothing was found using the manual reference number in the search. Looks like someone is addressing the issue. It is good to see some progress here. Thank you.
Rcfjef1972

Post by Rcfjef1972 »

HERE IS THE INFO you want on where to order the picture packet, click the link:

https://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores ... et&submit=
sloopj

Post by sloopj »

I'm new in Primary and had my first instance of art work not being printable; it drove me nuts, I'm sorry but something is wrong here that keeps us from printing off material from the manuals. It is further wrong that we have to pay for the picture kits. The copyright reason is even more wrong. We know the Church has enough artists in the curriculum department to do the art work and I'm pretty sure they do. None are signed. So why does the Church not put the copyright symbol on the pictures, The entire book is copyrighted but I can print everything else but the line drawings which we would copy off for the children. I have thoughts but won't express them. But this needs to be corrected! I just this minute had the problem. Couldn't print or copy the line art for tomorrow's lesson. I have a printer copier we use on occasion so I was going to copy it--copier ink was clogged or somethng--it didn't work, So now I have to get to Church early to get my copies and miss the "library crowd". This should not be necessary.

Return to “General Media Discussions”