Tithing Settlement Statements

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eblood66

Tithing Settlement Statements

Post by eblood66 »

As far as I can tell, LCR does not have an option to print Tithing Settlement Statements (the one with a place for the bishop to mark their status--not the Donor Statement that we pass out before tithing settlement begins). The documentation in the Help Center doesn't seem to mention tithing settlement statements in the LCR procedures either (although it isn't entirely clear because there are a few places where the documentation doesn't explicitly differentiate between LCR and MLS procedures).

I'm assuming that we no longer need to print settlement statements when members have their tithing settlement (although we could generate and print a new updated Donor Statement if they want one). Am I missing something?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Tithing Settlement Statements

Post by russellhltn »

It looks like the procedure is outlined. I noticed it talks about tabs, so the option may be hiding.

Link
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I think only the bishop can access the tithing settlement summary report on Leader and Clerk Resources. See this thread: https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25883
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

The LCR section of that document doesn't mention Tithing Settlement Statements. It does talk about the Tithing Settlement Report but that is the list of all members with a place to mark their declaration. It's for the bishop's use and isn't ever given to the members. This exists in MLS too but now in LCR only the ward clerk and bishop can access it.

The Tithing Settlement Statement (in years past) is the statement (for a single member) that shows the donations to date and has a place for the bishop to mark the declaration. It was given to the member before they went in to meet with the bishop and they take it with them after tithing settlement.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:I think only the bishop can access the tithing settlement summary report on Leader and Clerk Resources. See this thread: https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25883
Actually, I was the one who verified that :).

But I'm talking about Tithing Settlement Statements, not the Tithing Settlement Report.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

eblood66 wrote:Actually, I was the one who verified that :).
Ah, that does appear to be the case! :D
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
catmulls

Post by catmulls »

We have not found a statement in the new online tithing settlement that is one sheet for the Bishop to use to keep track of declarations.

As outlined in the documents, we did receive a PDF for our unit that we could print out and give to members to check the record-keeping.

Our Bishop feels like it is proper "accounting" procedures to present something to the member and ask if that is a full-tithe. I can reprint their individual year-to-date statements but sometimes there are multiple pages, etc.

There is a declaration list that says it can be printed but when we try that it has all of the members on it and so our Bishop cannot present that to a member or they risk seeing either the declaration or financial amounts of other members. The declaration list also did not appear to print well. It was across multiple pages and as I recall about 43 pages for our 600 members. We would have to keep printing it as members move in/out over the next 2 months.

Our bishop is wondering if he is meant to declar online after appointments but we worry about not having an online trail because it is so easy to change the status accidentally.

We started our tithing settlement on Sunday and we are experimenting with some different workflows to see if we can see what works well for us.
eblood66 wrote:As far as I can tell, LCR does not have an option to print Tithing Settlement Statements (the one with a place for the bishop to mark their status--not the Donor Statement that we pass out before tithing settlement begins). The documentation in the Help Center doesn't seem to mention tithing settlement statements in the LCR procedures either (although it isn't entirely clear because there are a few places where the documentation doesn't explicitly differentiate between LCR and MLS procedures).

I'm assuming that we no longer need to print settlement statements when members have their tithing settlement (although we could generate and print a new updated Donor Statement if they want one). Am I missing something?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

catmulls wrote:Our Bishop feels like it is proper "accounting" procedures to present something to the member and ask if that is a full-tithe.
The problem with that is that it is not necessary for a member to have paid all their tithing for the year before tithing settlement. When someone declares that they are a full tithe payer it really means that they have and/or plan to pay a full tithe. A person could have nothing on their statement and still be a full tithe payer if they plan on paying the entire amount at the end of the year (I've seen members do that).

As the church has moved the timing of tithing settlement forward (presumably to reduce the load on the bishop at the end of the year) they have also emphasized more that tithing settlement is a declaration, not an accounting presumably so that people don't wait to schedule their tithing settlement until they have paid all their tithing (these are my words and my interpretation of the motives, not something explicitly stated by CHQ).
catmulls wrote:There is a declaration list that says it can be printed but when we try that it has all of the members on it and so our Bishop cannot present that to a member or they risk seeing either the declaration or financial amounts of other members. The declaration list also did not appear to print well. It was across multiple pages and as I recall about 43 pages for our 600 members.
As an assistant clerk I don't have access to that list in LCR so I'm not sure what the printout looks like but I did just submit feedback on how another of the financial reports prints. That report includes extra page breaks that shouldn't be there so it makes a one page report 3 or 4 pages. I received a response that they are aware of that problem and are working on a fix. I wonder if this is the same problem. If so, hopefully they are rushing that fix because wards are going to want to print it very, very soon.
catmulls wrote:We would have to keep printing it as members move in/out over the next 2 months.
I don't see why you'd need to reprint it. If someone moves out it doesn't matter. They won't be on the online list when the bishop (or ward clerk) enters the declarations in January. If someone moves in, the bishop can hand write them in when he visits with them. When the declarations are entered (based on the printout) there may be a few undeclared members (who moved in and didn't come to tithing settlement). But I expect you can then filter by those who haven't been declared so the bishop can easily enter those declarations. You could do that in MLS at least.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

eblood66 wrote:They won't be on the online list when the bishop (or ward clerk) enters the declarations in January.
With the new online system, does the bishop still have to wait until January? Or is he able to go online each evening after interviews and enter tithing status for the completed tithing settlements he has conducted?

Then all he would have to worry about in January would be those who did not attend tithing settlement.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

lajackson wrote:With the new online system, does the bishop still have to wait until January? Or is he able to go online each evening after interviews and enter tithing status for the completed tithing settlements he has conducted?

Then all he would have to worry about in January would be those who did not attend tithing settlement.
Not having gone through it yet and not having access to that report, I can't say for certain but it sounds like they can enter declarations anytime but the Submit button isn't enabled until January. However, as catmulls was concerned about, if the bishop isn't always careful he could accidentally change an existing entry and wouldn't have a permanent record to compare against at the end.

Of course, he could do both. Use a printed record but also enter them as he goes and then just proof the results at the end. That trades time now to save time in January.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”