Unable to download notes and highlights

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
austindressman

Post by austindressman »

I am unable to download all of my notes and highlights from LDS.org (https://www.lds.org/study-tools/folders?lang=eng#d). The page just loads and loads and then comes back saying the connection timed out. I really need to save a hard copy of these. Is there any way to get any help with this?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Unable to download notes and highlights

Post by sbradshaw »

Have you tried on a different browser/computer or a different internet connection? Maybe that would work. Maybe it's a browser setting, such as Javascript being disabled or a privacy/cookies setting that's causing the error. It's also possible that there were temporary server problems on the Church's end when you tried to access your annotations, that could be fixed by now.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

How are you trying to download them? I'm not aware of an option to download from the page. As far as I can see, I can only view, not download.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There's a little dropdown arrow next to "Unassigned Items" and any notebooks under the Notebooks heading, on the left panel, that gives you an option to download.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
austindressman

Post by austindressman »

I just got a message from an LDS tech volunteer who says the Study Tools are currently undergoing major revisions. So I might just have to hold tight for a while before attempting to download again. I just hope I can download all my study journal entries as a backup some time soon.
mevans

Post by mevans »

austindressman wrote:I just got a message from an LDS tech volunteer who says the Study Tools are currently undergoing major revisions. So I might just have to hold tight for a while before attempting to download again. I just hope I can download all my study journal entries as a backup some time soon.
That's exciting to hear! We've heard rumor they were going to do something; I'm glad to hear it's "in progress".
djdinut1

Post by djdinut1 »

I'm having the same problem on both Safari and Chrome; the same result in both; lds.org gives me an error message. When will this be fixed? I can't back up my notes which is concerning.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I just had it successfully download a .docx file once, but then it wouldn't again. I was using Chrome on a Mac. I could try restarting Chrome and doing it again to see if it works. Microsoft Word wouldn't open the file it downloaded. Maybe I'll experiment with this again when I have a little more time and see if I have any ideas.
djdinut1

Post by djdinut1 »

For weeks now, I have been unable to download my notes in any of the three formats (DOCX, RTF, or XML). I use a Mac with the latest OS X using the Safari browser. I have had the same result with the Chrome browser. I keep getting the "Gateway Timeout" error message. What's up with that?
djdinut1

Post by djdinut1 »

The "Download notebook" feature in "Notes" (Unassigned Items > Download > Include highlights > and choosing any of the three options—DOCS, RTF, or Backup) is not working again. It worked for a few months but now is giving the following error message: "Gateway Timeout, The proxy server did not receive a timely response from the upstream server. Reference #1.2deb2d17.1523371795.32fc3831". Anyone know what's wrong?

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”