MLS glitch and network problems

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aclawson

MLS glitch and network problems

Post by aclawson »

MLS is now nagging to perform the "urgent task" of downloading and installing the new version of MLS, but the automated update process has already completed.

From our meetinghouse computer there is no access to any but the public lds.org sites, the release notes page, the forums and the MLS download page all time out and never load. Accessing these pages from anywhere that isn't on the meetinghouse network (cell phone across cell network for example) encounters no problems.
rscroggin

Re: MLS glitch and network problems

Post by rscroggin »

I'm having the same problem with the "urgent task" message about running the MLS 3.8.5 installer even though MLS has already been updated to 3.8.5. As far as I can tell that is happening on all of the computers in our stake. I went ahead and downloaded MLS 3.8.5 from the MLS download page, installed it manually, and the urgent task message went away.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

I wish I could have downloaded the update, but I suppose I'll just have to wait.

Interesting that I was only blocked from the website on this side of the firewall.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

It's nice to see that people are at least noticing the message. :)

We updated the Java Runtime Environment version with MLS 3.8.5. The MLS patch system can update MLS to 3.8.5, but it can't update the JRE since the patch system is running inside the JRE. Downloading the installer and updating MLS will update the JRE to the latest version used by MLS.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

scgallafent wrote:It's nice to see that people are at least noticing the message. :)

We updated the Java Runtime Environment version with MLS 3.8.5. The MLS patch system can update MLS to 3.8.5, but it can't update the JRE since the patch system is running inside the JRE. Downloading the installer and updating MLS will update the JRE to the latest version used by MLS.
Thank you for the explanation. Decided not to risk downloading the installer, on Sunday, for obvious reasons. Will do it this evening.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:It's nice to see that people are at least noticing the message. :)

Downloading the installer and updating MLS will update the JRE to the latest version used by MLS.
So do we all need to reinstall with the installer so that the JRE will update? I didn't get that from the message, but I see now that may have been the intended message.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I also ignored the direction to download the MLS 3.8.5 installer, since it appeared to me that RTPatch successfully updated everything. If I reinstall MLS, will that force me to do a security reset, and download my finance and membership data again?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

drepouille wrote:I also ignored the direction to download the MLS 3.8.5 installer, since it appeared to me that RTPatch successfully updated everything. If I reinstall MLS, will that force me to do a security reset, and download my finance and membership data again?
No it won't cause any kind of reset. I've just this minute done the download and install without problems. Just do the install over the existing installation.
Last edited by Biggles on Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote:So do we all need to reinstall with the installer so that the JRE will update? I didn't get that from the message, but I see now that may have been the intended message.
Yes, everyone should download and run the installer to get on the latest JRE.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:
lajackson wrote:So do we all need to reinstall with the installer so that the JRE will update? I didn't get that from the message, but I see now that may have been the intended message.
Yes, everyone should download and run the installer to get on the latest JRE.
The RTPatch popup is appearing again. Is the patch supposed to fix things, or is this another case where all of our units need to download the installer and install again over the current version of MLS?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”