Church Leaders Need a Staffing and Priesthood Advancement Management Function in LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Church Leaders Need a Staffing and Priesthood Advancement Management Function in LCR

Post by russellhltn »

I believe they build their own flow chart from the Handbook and from the business rules handed down to them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Church Leaders Need a Staffing and Priesthood Advancement Management Function in LCR

Post by sbradshaw »

The best way to submit feedback is through the "Do you have feedback about this page?" link on the bottom right of Leader and Clerk Resources. Unfortunately, there's no way to submit attachments.

Sorry for the bad experience you may have had posting here – forum members are generally helpful and we try to be friendly, but this is one of those ideas that has been suggested several times here on the forums, and the Church has given no indication that they have plans to implement it, so it's easy for forum members who've been here a while to be frustrated about. It's also a complicated problem because everyone has different ideas of how it should be implemented – it's hard to find a one-size-fits-all workflow.

I'm sure that something like this will be added to Leader and Clerk Resources eventually. The last big feature that people were asking for often on the forums, for probably 5 years or more, was online home teaching, and it finally happened when it was deemed to be the right time – but there was no indication that it was in the works until it was almost ready.

Thanks for your patience, and good luck!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

There isn't a preferred submission format. If you submit this kind of suggestion through LCR feedback, someone will review it. If you were to submit an attachment, someone would briefly scan through your attachment. You probably won't get a response. After that, you have essentially submitted a "+1" request. Requests for these features have been submitted many times before and your original attachment didn't have anything that would expand the conversation.

If and when we get instructions to implement these features, the business rules will be determined based on the instructions in Handbook 1 and Handbook 2. Where the process isn't specifically defined in either Handbook, the product managers will work with the appropriate councils to determine how the workflow should be implemented.
bgraul

Post by bgraul »

Scgallafent, the processes for our program were built based on the HB1&2 instructions. We have the entire chart of callings built in and we use it to control both the process flow and the list of people who receive the assignments. And yes we ran into quite a few callings not directly defined in the HB2 chart of callings that required other processes, and those we aligned as closely as possible with other similarly handled processes.

My ego was somewhat deflated by your remark about many other similar submitals and how what ai sent in my attachment did not expand the conversation. I will say though that the main menu has seven other sub-menus accessible by clicking the blue buttons. And the calling and advancement screens have other nifty little functions in the tabbed parts of the forms that email the assignments to members of the stake presidency and high council, etc. But I have not spent the last almost four years working on our program to boost my ego. I have only done it to magnify my calling and help keep things from falling through the cracks in the most efficient way I can.

I hope you are right and something like this is in the works. If so, sending them the benefit if my thought and effort to work out the kinks in automating policy as I have done may be of help to them.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Just so there is no misunderstanding: there is no active development going on right now for new features regarding priesthood advancement or calling workflow.
bgraul

Post by bgraul »

If and when they do start development of something along these lines, I would like to be involved in the beta testing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bgraul wrote:If and when they do start development of something along these lines, I would like to be involved in the beta testing.
IIRC, you'd need to have the stake president's permission to have your stake added to the beta program. I'm pretty sure they have to add by unit, if not by stake. It's not by individual.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

Hi everybody. I'm the product manager for LCR. I've also been a stake clerk for the past 2.5 years in a stake with 14 units and 6,200 members, so I am VERY aware of the need for a calling workflow system of some sort. Like you, I live with the pain of doing all of this manually today. Our primary focus right now is to finish transitioning MLS functionality to LCR. We have been able to enhance a few things along the way, but we will not be adding any substantial new features to LCR until the MLS to LCR transition is complete.

LCR 3.2 was released earlier this year and included the ability to print ordinance record forms, record baptism and confirmation, record priesthood ordinandes (including a basic workflow between the ward and stake for Melchizedek Priesthood), print certificates, print limited-use recommends for baptisms, etc.

LCR 3.3 is in beta right now and includes the ability to record and update additional membership information (including parents, marriage, death, and divorce), delete a duplicate membership record, cancel a membership record for an individual who is 18 or older and not baptized, use the LCR search box to find pages in addition to individuals, enhanced the Officers Sustained form, enhanced the Send a Message tool by adding rich text formatting options, etc. We anticipate releasing to production early next month. We're just waiting for translations to come back. As always, release notes can be found here: https://www.lds.org/help/support/clerk- ... s?lang=eng

We just started work on LCR 4.0 which will take the rest of the year to complete. This release will include the ability to create membership records and update parent/child relationships. We hope to release to production before the end of the year but it may not release until early next year based on development time and translations. At that point, the majority of MLS membership functionality will be in LCR and we can start a cleanup project to get the remaining MLS items moved over such as custom reports and mailing labels.

Back to the topic of this post, I'm hoping the Church will provide a calling workflow tool of some sort at some point in the future. There have been numerous discussions at different levels and with different departments, and there are many people thinking about what we could do. But at this point, nothing has been approved. I would not expect to see a Church-provided solution for this for at least a year or longer. So know that the need is known and understood. We are just waiting for the right time to get the work done based on other priorities and the direction we've been given by the Brethren.
bgraul

Post by bgraul »

bfromm,

Thank you for your timely and very informative post. This was the first time I had ever posted anything here, and there were some growing pains, but I am grateful many such as you have responded with some great information.

I especially liked hearing that there are plans to migrate the custom report function as that is what I use to update the MS Access application I am using now.

I am also working on a way to extract the same information from the web reports, but that will be a much more complicated process.

If you are familiar with MS Access and Excel and are interested in learning how I do that, I can send you some samples and instructions to help you perhaps do the same thing I am at the stake level. Contact me at oflmemclerk@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Ben Graul
O'Fallon Illinois Stake Clerk
glidecj

Post by glidecj »

bfromm,

Thank you for providing an update on the LCR 4.0 features. Now that tithing settlement season is upon us. We need a way to print address labels. Is there a way?

Thanks
Carey Joseph
North Branch Ward Clerk

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”