Windows 10 Upgrade

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
seanhyte

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade

Post by seanhyte »

If you have MLS launch errors after your system gets the Windows 10 upgrade, please follow the fix on the mhtech.lds.org Windows 10 Upgrade page. There are some systems that need to run MLS in compatibility mode.

https://www.lds.org/help/support/win10-upgrade?lang=eng
pete.arnett

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade - deployment schedule

Post by pete.arnett »

So who wants to share the MLS Windows 10 deployment schedule

Rumor has it that the western part of USA is to be done by early next
Then eastern part of USA is to be done by late next week ....
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

pete.arnett wrote:So who wants to share the MLS Windows 10 deployment schedule
I would love to share it, if I had it. A very unofficial, unconfirmed rumor I heard says they are rolling it out by Area. I suppose that could be done in a western then eastern U.S. manner your rumor describes. But I am afraid that the details of my rumor and my location do not match the rumored schedule you have mentioned.

So there you have it. Two rumors, no schedule, and electrons dying by the thousands. Rather than worrying much about it, we are leaving all of our computers on after Sunday and will check back in a week to see if anything happened.

Ooh, and you'll never guess what else I heard . . .
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote:Ooh, and you'll never guess what else I heard . . .
The update replaces Windows with a Linux installation, moves custom reports to Leader and Clerk Resources, updates the LDS.org Lesson Schedules tool, and allows members to report their home teaching via LDS Tools? :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

sbradshaw wrote:
lajackson wrote:Ooh, and you'll never guess what else I heard . . .
The update replaces Windows with a Linux installation, moves custom reports to Leader and Clerk Resources, updates the LDS.org Lesson Schedules tool, and allows members to report their home teaching via LDS Tools? :)
Who told? :D
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Is just having the computer turned on, but not logged in, sufficient for the Upgrade to happen? Or does it need to be logged in as well?

My thoughts, on the above questions, are from a security angle. In Europe, we have a directive, from the Area Authority that no rooms in any of the buildings should be locked. This means anyone can wander in to the Clerks office and use the computer. All confidential files/documents are under lock and key, by the way.
codywestongraham

Post by codywestongraham »

I was out of town last week and someone upgraded our computer or it auto upgraded and now MLS isn't launching because it is not compatible. Possible MLS update or do I have to remove Windows 10?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

codywestongraham wrote:I was out of town last week and someone upgraded our computer or it auto upgraded and now MLS isn't launching because it is not compatible. Possible MLS update or do I have to remove Windows 10?
Don't remove Windows 10 -- it's part of the planned upgrade of all the clerk computers. Instead, follow the instructions linked to earlier in this topic in this post.
seanhyte

Post by seanhyte »

Biggles wrote:Is just having the computer turned on, but not logged in, sufficient for the Upgrade to happen? Or does it need to be logged in as well?
Just needs powered on and internet connected, does not matter if logged in or not.

Thanks
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Thank you. I suspected that would be the case, as Sophos has been up to date whenever I've logged in, but it doesn't hurt to ask to be sure.

Return to “Clerk Computers”