New circle mask on directory photos

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mevans

Re: New circle mask on directory photos

Post by mevans »

I've looked at several ward member photos and I don't think I've found a problem with any pictures I've taken and uploaded. But, when I take a picture, I try to crop it to somewhat of a consistent head size and also crop it to a square, so I think that's why the circle mask works on those. I think several of the distorted photos were a rectangle in portrait mode. I agree with russellhltn that the circle makes certain assumptions. I've definitely seen people with their heads cut off by the circle mask.
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

:D Yippee. Circle Masks are gone. Pictures Back. Look OK. Thanks!
mevans

Post by mevans »

Thanks to those who put in the extra time to get this fixed now. I wasn't expecting a fix until next week.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

They must have done a roll-back, because the email options returned. I doubt if things will stay this way.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

WWS36 wrote:Wayne, you are right. They did an upgrade but it has problems that they are working to fix. They didn't give an estimated time to resolution. (From a foirmer employee)
OUCH!!! :geek:
From a former employee – is the "former" anything to do with the circle problem? :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

You can get to the circle directory here:
https://www.lds.org/betadirectory/
Note: I'm not sure if the beta directory saves changes to the current directory, so continue to use the current directory.

Regarding re-uploading, from what I understand, the new directory (along with the update to LDS Tools) will have a new image service that will allow higher-quality images. So if you have originals, you will probably want to re-upload when the new directory is fixed and released again.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The updated directory seems to have been released again today or yesterday, with circle photos for individuals (keeping the rectangles for household photos).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yup. Seems like they've fixed the problem where it was distorting the photo.

I'm still not sure why it was done. Perhaps to nudge people into understanding the difference between "individual" and "family" and framing the shot accordingly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

But I'm still missing Photos. So do you suppose they will send out any guidance or Status???
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I hope they'll let us know when they've finished transferring the old photos over, so we can know that if we upload new photos they won't be overwritten – since they're switching to a new photo service.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”