Updating Elder's Quorum President

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Bruceson

Updating Elder's Quorum President

Post by Bruceson »

I am a clerk for a ward that doesn't have a great deal of active Elders. Recently, a High Priest was called to be our new Elder's Quorum President. When I attempted to update this brother's calling in LCR, the program wouldn't let me do it. I assume that this is because the brother is a High Priest and the calling is in the Elder's Quorum. I asked my Stake Clerk about this and he wasn't sure how to fix this. Can anyone out there tell me how to fix this or who I need to speak with? Thanks for your help.
drepouille

Re: Updating Elder's Quorum President

Post by drepouille »

I remember when the new Handbooks were introduced in 2010. President Monson, I believe, told a story about seeing a newspaper article that said a former bishop had been called as an elders quorum president. The appropriate leaders were notified, and the brother was quickly released from the position.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I believe you have to first move his class assignment to the Elders Quorum
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting question. Handbook 2: 7.1.2 says "A priesthood quorum is an organized group of brethren who hold the same priesthood office." I can't find anything more about requirements to be a Elder's quorum president. Nor do I find anything about HP filling roles in the EQ.

Handbook 2: 17.2.3 says that if you have a small group, they can meet together, but they remain separate quorums.

So, it seems questionable if a HP can be a EQP.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

jonesrk wrote:I believe you have to first move his class assignment to the Elders Quorum
This is correct. Change his class assignment to the elders quorum and you will be able to make the assignment.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

drepouille wrote:I remember when the new Handbooks were introduced in 2010. President Monson, I believe, told a story about seeing a newspaper article that said a former bishop had been called as an elders quorum president. The appropriate leaders were notified, and the brother was quickly released from the position.
I wasn't able to find this story, but I found the 2010 Worldwide Leadership Training:
https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/archive/ ... 1?lang=eng
There's lots of good stuff about principles and application of the 2010 Handbook.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Bruceson

Post by Bruceson »

Thank you all. I appreciate the help.

Return to “Membership Help”