Online tithing - not visible in MLS?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
lomondview

Online tithing - not visible in MLS?

Post by lomondview »

Many branch members pay tithing online. I think Church HQ maintains the records for this; no?

Also, not sure if I can see these online tithing payments on MLS; no?

In tithing settlement, online tithe payers' print out / statement of tithing paid shows $0 - since HQ maintains records; no?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Online tithing - not visible in MLS?

Post by lajackson »

jeremybates wrote:Many branch members pay tithing online. I think Church HQ maintains the records for this; no?
Yes.
jeremybates wrote:Also, not sure if I can see these online tithing payments on MLS; no?
You should be able to see all of them in MLS.
jeremybates wrote:In tithing settlement, online tithe payers' print out / statement of tithing paid shows $0 - since HQ maintains records; no?
Again, you should be able to see all of them in MLS and print complete reports.

Online Donations should show up as batches in MLS as if you had entered them in the clerks office.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

If I recall correctly (I am not in front of MLS right now) when you go to "view donations" in MLS you will see different Donation batch numbers.
On our MLS:
Online donations start with the letters "ON" whereas local deposit donations do not.
Also, there is a button in MLS that will let you show just local deposits or just online deposits - if that button is checked, that would explain why you cannot see online deposits.

One other thing: I have noticed that all our online donations are grouped per day. So if 3 different members donate the same day - there will be one online donation batch with all three donations listed (so it looks like a local batch in that regard).
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I believe if a tithe payers' tithing settlement printout shows $0, there is no record they have donated (either at the local level or through online donations). If they have evidence to the contrary, you will need to investigate to determine why their claimed donation is not showing on their statement.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

IF the LDS Account used to make the donation has a MRN associated with it, the unit that holds that membership record will see the donation.

If the in-ward donations have been recorded under a different MRN (either the spouse or not linked to a MRN at all), then they will appear in different places in MLS. But if both donations have been recorded under the same MRN, they will appear in MLS under the same account.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

davesudweeks wrote:I believe if a tithe payers' tithing settlement printout shows $0, there is no record they have donated (either at the local level or through online donations). If they have evidence to the contrary, you will need to investigate to determine why their claimed donation is not showing on their statement.
This means that there are no donation records visible to the ward. The absence of donations on a tithing settlement report does not mean that a member has not donated.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I was trying to say this, but sgallafent did it much better than I did.

If the ward has no record of the donation all the ward can say is they have no record of the donation. If the member claims they donated and the ward has no record of that, the clerk should investigate (imho). The nature of the investigation will be different depending on whether it was an in-person donation (handed to a bishopric member) or online donation (made directly by the member).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:The nature of the investigation will be different depending on whether it was an in-person donation (handed to a bishopric member) or online donation (made directly by the member).
There's also other donations made directly to CHQ. Such as donations in-kind. Some older billpay-based donation methods were hidden from the ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lomondview

Post by lomondview »

This data - member's who pay tithing online - is NOT visible in my MLS. I've replied to the SUPPORT emails from HQ. Please let me know what else I can do to acquire this updated MLS version of software?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jeremybates wrote:This data - member's who pay tithing online - is NOT visible in my MLS. I've replied to the SUPPORT emails from HQ. Please let me know what else I can do to acquire this updated MLS version of software?
The on-line system will accept donations from "non-members". If the LDS Account doesn't have a MRN attached to it, there is NOTHING you or anyone else can do to see the donations in MLS. The member will have to add their MRN to the account.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”