The Youth Face to Face Broadcast Paradox

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
aaronrturner

The Youth Face to Face Broadcast Paradox

Post by aaronrturner »

I just got informed about the next youth Face to Face broadcast. This is a broadcast that has been very frustrating for me in the past. Here is an event which is broadcast through YouTube, that is specifically targeted to youth in the stake, and is supposed to take place in the chapel in place of mutual, but is delivered in a way which I have to tear down the firewall to make it work?

Does anyone else experience this? I have not had success at all with the church's YouTube channel successfully coming through the meetinghouse firewall. Why don't they simulcast these on the satellite? Am I missing something? Are my meetinghouse firewalls messed up and don't have an exception programmed for the LDS YouTube channels?

Any suggestions on how to make these happen in a way where I don't have to physically unplug cables from the firewall would be much appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: The Youth Face to Face Broadcast Paradox

Post by russellhltn »

You're not alone. While not announced, the past broadcasts have been broadcast over the satellite.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:While not announced, the past broadcasts have been broadcast over the satellite.
... but newer buildings don't even have satellite dishes. So although that alternative broadcast option would help a significant number of units, it will become less and less helpful over time. Something needs to happen to improve the online broadcast options.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Last time I believe we watched it directly on the facebook page with no issues.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Is it even going to be on the satellite system? And our youth were all lined up to come an hour before it starts, because they changed the time this time.
curbro57

Post by curbro57 »

What's the link to the facebook page to get the video?
shawndowler

Post by shawndowler »

Why don't they just announce that it will be on the satellite feed if it's going to be there? Tonight is the first Face to Face that I've been asked to show live in a building and I am still uncertain whether I will be able to show it or not. I would rather not bypass the firewall if I don't have to. I can play the recorded videos on the Facebook page, but I don't know when or if the stream will be posted there. If it winds up pointing to YouTube, that will be a pain. I will be checking the satellite feed to see if it comes on there, but it makes me nervous when I have no chance to test what I'm about to show. And just because it was on Facebook and the satellite feed last time doesn't guarantee they will be usable at the Stake Center when the meeting is supposed to start.
ThomsonMA

Post by ThomsonMA »

For what it's worth, and I'd take it with grain of sand, I did call the support line last week to ask and was told that the Face to Face broadcast WILL be carried on the satellite system.

I for one am hoping I was told correctly, because it's clearly much easier to show it off the satellite in the stake center than to try to show an internet feed, and that's apart from any firewall issues one might have with receiving an internet feed.

With a satellite broadcast, I just need to connect a TV set in the RS room to the antenna coax in that room and tune in channel 3.
shawndowler

Post by shawndowler »

Since you can't be sure it will be on the satellite, you have to prepare to use the Internet stream anyway, so you don't really get to save any work this way. Fortunately for me, the infrastructure I use all goes through the same video switcher, so whether it's over the Internet or satellite feed doesn't make much difference to me. Of course, if it's over the Internet, then I have to turn off Wi-Fi in the building. It would be great if I knew it were both, then I could plan to use the satellite as primary with Internet as backup and switch over to the Internet stream if the satellite drops, which is very unlikely. What really bothers me is I'm in unknown territory right up until the meeting time. I will be biting my nails hoping it shows up at 7:00. If it doesn't, then I've got nothing to show to a room full of teenagers.
ThomsonMA

Post by ThomsonMA »

In case anyone is watching this topic, the event today IS on the satellite feed.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”