How to add non vital elements.

jobwallis

How to add non vital elements.

Post by jobwallis »

Hello
I am entering my family details and checking these against records that I have submitted via GEDCOM from ancestry.com.
I am doing this mainly from adroid app and also from web page when required
My question is how to I add non vital record?
Eg my great aunt moved from Sydney to London in 1938 and I wish to add this.
Also service records (and images of these records)
The best available module I can find to do this is in "add stories"
Is this the best way?
If I want to share my tree w other family members will this "story" information be there?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: How to add non vital elements.

Post by aebrown »

jobwallis wrote:My question is how to I add non vital record?
Eg my great aunt moved from Sydney to London in 1938 and I wish to add this.
If you just want to add specific facts or events, the best choice is probably to use the Add option in the Other Information section. See the attached screen shot for facts that have already been added to Thomas Edison, and the options for adding more facts or events. Note that you can even add custom facts/events if the predefined categories don't meet your needs (the Immigration event on the screen shot is an example of that).
jobwallis wrote:Also service records (and images of these records)
The best available module I can find to do this is in "add stories"
Is this the best way?
If you are adding images to use as sources, you probably want to add images as documents, by going to Memories > Documents. Then you can attach those documents as sources to the person. If you have records that document important facts (name, birth, death, marriage, residence, immigration, etc.) it's always a good idea to attach them somehow as sources.

You could use a Story, but that's generally better used when you want to recount a story of something that happened in a person's life, as opposed to a simple record. Memories can be stories, documents, photos, or audio clips, and they all have their different purposes.
jobwallis wrote:If I want to share my tree w other family members will this "story" information be there?
Everything you attach to a person on Family Tree (sources, memories, vitals, non-vital facts/events, etc.) is part of the public information connected to a person. Almost all deceased persons in the entire Family Tree are visible to anyone, including all those details. So yes, your family members will be able to see anything you add in a story that is attached to a person.
Attachments
AddOtherInformation.png
(37.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “FamilySearch Products”