Connecting the Phone to the TV

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Connecting the Phone to the TV

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:What about a Roku 3?
How well does it work with the new DNS policy? I seem to recall that you can't change the DNS from some default setting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
Biggles wrote:What about a Roku 3?
How well does it work with the new DNS policy? I seem to recall that you can't change the DNS from some default setting.
I've just got ours and still experimenting. The quick demo he gave when he delivered it, didn't seem to have any problems connecting to the internet (Behind the Church firewall BYU and the Mormon Channel) and worked well with the Android device he was using. It is necessary to set up an account, but once that is done it can be PIN protected to prevent chargeable services being used!
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

Microsoft Wireless Display adapter. It works on most recent Android, and most recent Windows 8.1/10, Windows Phone, and some Blackberry.

If I were you I would not do Chromecast and do one Miracast and one Apple TV. We have them velcore and zip tied to TV. I can take a picture and send you if you want. We also put directions on back of TV on how to connect
carsonm

Post by carsonm »

Three options I am trying to learn more about but have not tried yet are following:

1) the "Lenovo Cast" device (not the Lenovo Smart Cast" smartphone.) It was supposed to sell worldwide as of last August for $50 USD. but have not seen it in the USA yet.

http://news.lenovo.com/spec-sheets/leno ... -sheet.htm

If anyone hear if this unit selling in the US, please let me know.
per the spec sheet.:
***Designed to cast media from devices using Android 4.3 and above; also supports selected Miracast or DLNA-enabled Windows 8.1 or iOS devices

2) A bit more expensive option but appears provides more functionally is the Infocus Lightcast Module. $ 299 USD per Infocus.
http://www.infocus.com/accessories/netw ... T#overview

3) Microsoft Screen sharing device (uses NFC and Miracast)
https://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/accessory/hd-10/

Although it reports for Windows phones, it sounds like it will work with other devices.

We currently use 2 - Roku XS 2 devices and the main draw back in a church setting is seen the ads on various screens that may not be appropriate for a church setting. On the particular model there is no screen mirroring option.

If anyone else has tried of these 3 options before I would be interested to hear about your experiences with the particular device.
aaronrturner

Post by aaronrturner »

Thanks all, for my testing over the next 2 weeks, I'm going to get an Apple TV and a Microsoft Screen Sharing dongle. I'm also going to pick up a few smart HDMI switches to see if I can make them work automagically without having the users unplug cables (for those TV's with just one HDMI port).

Will return and report next week.
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

I'm not familiar with the Microsoft Screen Sharing device. I read the info on Microsoft.com. How much is this? What caused you to pick this instead of the Microsoft Wireless Adapter?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Has anyone had success using chromecast for IOS? I downloaded the latest beta last night and it didn't have the support. However, I also downloaded the Media Library app (which is more of a mock-up at this point) and it did have support for Chromecast. I'd love to choose a single device, and even a low-cost device.

Does Android have native connectivity support to Apple TV? I have a purchased version of Allcast on my android so I can connect using airplay just fine, but not sure if it would work with native only.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

I've been planning for a while on posting these directions but kept not thinking about it when I'm at the meetinghouse. Attached are the directions that I typed up for the Apple TV and the Miracast adapter in the meetinghouse. We laminate these and Velcro them to the back of the TV. Any questions, let me know. These are saved in LibreOffice / .odt format as they were made on the Clerks Office computer.
Attachments
Cimarron Ward Apple TV Wireless Display.odt
Apple TV
(52.37 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
Cimarron Ward Miracast Wireless Display.odt
Miracast
(100.24 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
mdenhalter

Post by mdenhalter »

The Roku 3 is the solution I am favoring, especially for streaming from the Mormon Channel. How does your stake control or allocate the Roku devices?
michaelcox

Post by michaelcox »

I think if I was doing New TVs today I would do a TV with built in Chromecast and add on an Apple TV.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”