LDS Account Password Policies

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
LDSAccountTech
Church Employee
Church Employee

LDS Account Password Policies

Post by LDSAccountTech »

All church employees, missionaries, volunteers, (etc.) have workforce-enable LDS Accounts. When an individual's account is provisioned by Account Management (a process in which we set up their LDS Account with this workforce information) that individual's account is placed within the General Employee Password Policy, which states, that for security purposes, the LDS Account password will be required to be reset every six months. If the password isn't reset within the conclusion of the six months, the LDS Account is automatically locked, in which the individual will need to contact support to unlock the account (which we can do quickly). Note: the e-mail address associated with the LDS Account will send out password-change notifications two weeks prior to the password expiration. Because certain ward/stake callings are workforce enabled too (like seminary or institute instructors), they will also need to follow this password policy. Until they are released from their calling (which is reflected on their LDS Account) and their workforce is removed, they will reset their password every six months.

When an LDS Account is provisioned, an e-mail should be sent to the individual informing them of this information. As long as the primary e-mail address is up-to-date on the LDS Account, this e-mail will be received; if not, the recipient may not receive the notification (which is why we advise to have individuals update their LDS Account information at ldsaccount.lds.org to verify their information is correct).
ji20874

Re: LDS Account Password Policies

Post by ji20874 »

I wish this policy didn't reach to volunteer early-morning seminary teachers. I just got a notice. My bank accounts and credit cards let me keep my password for years, and everything is secure. I think making people constantly change passwords is more for an illusion than real security.

I don't want my relationship with my church to like my workplace, where I have far too many userid and passwords, and I have to change all of them every 90 or 180 days, with different rules and character counts and configurations for each. With this new policy, every month there will be hundreds of calls to church headquarters about forgotten passwords from frustrated members. This is job security for the password re-setters, but frustration for members.

I think I prefer interfacing with my church in person or in paper.

All that said, I do appreciate being able to have only one userid and password for multiple church applications.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I think part of the reason all seminary teachers have to be in the workforce system is because WISE is hosted at wise.ldschurch.org, which is a workforce domain. It's easiest to apply the requirements to everyone on the domain.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ji20874 wrote:I think making people constantly change passwords is more for an illusion than real security.
I tend to agree with you - particularly since most people figure out a workaround that is common and largely negates any advantage of changing the password.

But it's not our decision.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

So is it 6 months from the date of the post?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:So is it 6 months from the date of the post?
The password is required to be changed 6 months from the date that the LDS Account is configured as a Workforce account. Thereafter, it is required to be changed within 6 months from the last password change.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I have had the same password since I set up my account several years ago.... I am curious as to when my 6 months will be up...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

zaneclark wrote:I have had the same password since I set up my account several years ago.... I am curious as to when my 6 months will be up...
This discussion has centered on a special setting for LDS Account for users who are treated as if they are Church employees. They are the ones who have to reset their passwords every six months. You and I (and most members) do not.
slwilliams01

Post by slwilliams01 »

The lds.org login remembers my name and password. I would like to eliminate the memory and require that I re-enter my name and password each time I login.

Thanks, Steve
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

slwilliams01 wrote:The lds.org login remembers my name and password. I would like to eliminate the memory and require that I re-enter my name and password each time I login.
It's not LDS.org that is remembering your name and password -- it is your browser. So you need to clear the password from wherever your browser stores it. Instructions for Chrome and Internet Explorer can be found here.

Return to “Church Account”