PAF

julieannbaker

PAF

Post by julieannbaker »

I'm trying to move PAF files from another computer to mine so I can add it to Roots Magic and Family Search. We tried dropbox but that didn't work. Any suggestions please???
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: PAF

Post by russellhltn »

USB Thumbdrive would be my first choice.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
julieannbaker

Post by julieannbaker »

No that didn't work, It just produced lots of data, names etc but not in the PAF format
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You should just be able to copy the PAF files over directly and not try to export it. What version of PAF are we talking about?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
julieannbaker

Post by julieannbaker »

I don't know but will find out. As I said it's on another computer at another location. It's too late now to phone. I'll contact them tomorrow and get back to you. Thanks
julieannbaker

Post by julieannbaker »

It's 5.2
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

OK, it should be straight forward. Make sure that PAF is not running, copy the *.PAF that PAF was using to the thumb drive. Take it to the new machine, run RootsMagic and do a Import.

julieannbaker

Post by julieannbaker »

It worked. Thank you so much!!!!
My computer expert brother-in-law and nephew couldn't help me but you have.
So now I have 2 separate Roots Magic files. One for my husband and one for me. Is there a way of combining them? Or should I leave them separate?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

julieannbaker wrote:So now I have 2 separate Roots Magic files. One for my husband and one for me. Is there a way of combining them? Or should I leave them separate?
I'm sure there are pros and cons to both methods. I know RM can open both files at once.

I did find this YouTube video for RootMagic Version 4.

You might also wan to ask at the Roots Magic forum

adamr2

Post by adamr2 »

TO: russellhltn
(2018) Need advice on how to transfer about 50 names from my 7000 individuals PAF5 software Tree to a USB flashdrive/stick etc. Tried to print report and preview but only (1) multimedia item is shown per individual. Remaining multimedia don't appear. I would like for them to view their 50 named family members; they then would be able to edit; print etc after they downloaded to their own PC. I prefer them not being to access all of the remainder of my main relations. In addition I also would like for them to have the ability to access all of their multimedia documents and photos. Am Old Guy and totally not tech savy. :?

You can PM me if you like or email me at adamr1@mymts.net ....Located in Canada

Later you or someone else might tell me how to do the same thing with my entire (7000) individuals. Not sure if there's a flash drive large enough to accommodate.

Ron Adam

Return to “FamilySearch Products”