Online Ward Missionary contributions to specific Missionarie

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
bballrob

Re: Online Ward Missionary contributions to specific Missionarie

Post by bballrob »

johnshaw wrote:bballrob - I don't currently have this issue. We fixed it in our stake also, the thread exists historically in case other stumble on it there are some helpful hints about what can be going on under the radar. I have to wonder... what if you're SP didn't have this review with you. Would you ever have discovered this as something that was helpful... and I say this for the world to read, 'you' in this case is ALL Bishops.
I'd like to think that I'd most likely catch it anyhow. Professionally I'm an accountant, so it's in my nature to pay pretty close attention to the financial side of things I'm involved in.

I think one thing that all Bishop's need to do when first called is become familiar with the various financial responsibilities they have. In the missionary funds, they need to be familiar with each missionary's financial support, especially if the ward happens to be helping with all or part of a particular missionary. That way they can followup and make sure the appropriate transfers are made.

One thing I have always done as well is let my clerks know that I APPRECIATE and RELY ON their expertise in their assigned callings. I let them know that if there's something they think I should be doing differently, to let me know. I'm open to suggestions, and unless there's a specific reason why I'm doing it the way I'm doing it, and what they suggest will make all of our lives easier, I'm willing to make the change if that's what's needed.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

One of the Bishops that ran into this problem was in financial management as a profession, so I include every Bishop everywhere in my list of needing a bit better instructions on how this works. There are just some things that deserve some explicit training from experts.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Bishops are very busy people. They may prioritize their administrative attention to things with consequences. So it may be necessary to spell out some consequences to get their attention. (I was a clerk to a bishop like that.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I asked my clerk to monitor the ward missionary fund and tell me anytime one of the accounts was going to go or went underwater. I asked him to recommend to me any time he thought I ought to "remind" one of the missionary families their contributions were needed. I asked him to track the overall ward missionary fund and let me know any time he thought I ought to "mention" that the ward would be grateful for contributions.

I also told him I would let him know whether or not I was going to visit with the family or if he should just transfer some money from the ward fund to a specific missionary. We did all this manually on a ledger before MLS came along and when FIS only tracked a top-level ward missionary fund.

My wonderful clerk provided the information and recommendations. I provided the decisions. On occasion, just for fun, I would ask him, "What do you think you would do if you were the bishop?" And I would explain why I did what I did (without violating any confidences).

A side benefit was that when he became a bishop, he was already well trained.
Jeraymond

Post by Jeraymond »

I have a member who wants to donate to a specific Missionary in a different Ward. How is that done?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Jeraymond wrote:I have a member who wants to donate to a specific Missionary in a different Ward. How is that done?
They have to know the unit number of the ward the missionary is in. Then under ward missionary there is an option to put in that number and the missionaries in that ward will show up.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Jeraymond wrote:I have a member who wants to donate to a specific Missionary in a different Ward. How is that done?
Hopefully this ward is in the same country as her. If the ward is in another country, that doesn't seem to work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:
Hopefully this ward is in the same country as her. If the ward is in another country, that doesn't seem to work.
Well, you have to be in the U.S. (or more correctly, using a U.S. checking or savings account) to use Online Donations, and you can only donate to missionaries whose ward missionary accounts are in U.S. wards and branches.
juliejohnson

Post by juliejohnson »

I would like to monthly donate to my Nephews mission fund. I don't know how to do this. His mother is single and just moved to Ogden her address is [personal information removed - this is a public forum] I don't know how to do this can you help me?
Last edited by russellhltn on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal ifnormation removed
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Julie,

If you go online to the donations area and click on help, scroll down to the FAQ it has the answer after you click the link. I've provided it below. You will need to contact your sister to get that information. If you are trying to do it without letting her know, you can put her address into the lds maps program and it will give you the Bishop's phone number and they can help you. - OR - you can work with your own ward clerk or someone in the bishopric that can help you find that address.

Q2. Can I make a donation to the missionary fund of another ward?

A2. Yes, you can make a donation to another ward or branch’s ward missionary fund, but you will need to know the unit number of that ward or branch. Go to Make a Donation, click Select a missionary, and then click Missionary in Other Ward/Branch. (Note: Currently you can only contribute the missionary funds of wards and branches in the country where you make the donation.)

Enter the ward or branch number, and click Continue. For help in getting a ward or branch number, click How do I get a ward or branch number?

From the drop-down list, select the name of the missionary, and enter the amount you want to donate.
Last edited by johnshaw on Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Online Donations”