iOS 9 and LDS.org

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
toonetown

iOS 9 and LDS.org

Post by toonetown »

It is still just developer prerelease, and it may change, but just thought that I'd report that on my development devices (both iPod and iPad) running iOS 9 will try to open every link clicked on LDS.org in gospel library.

To duplicate:
1. Upgrade to iOS 9 and install the current (AppStore) version of gospel library
2. Open LDS.org in safari
3. Click on a link from the LDS.org homepage

This will try to open the link in gospel library. If you copy the link and paste it in the address bar of safari, it will open in safari.

If I were to guess, it is probably related to changes that were made in iOS 9, where it is getting confused with the changes in gospel library that were made to support continuity...I don't know if this is a bug in gospel library or iOS 9 - I just thought I'd report it

-Nathan
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: iOS 9 and LDS.org

Post by sbradshaw »

Don't forget to report it through the in-app feedback! The Gospel Library for iOS developers don't visit the forums very frequently.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
hiltonc

Post by hiltonc »

This highlights two problems:

1. Safari should not be opening lds.org links in Gospel Library because the app is not configured for "app links".
2. Even if Gospel Library were configured for "app links", it seems to me that that is undesirable behavior. I'd prefer to still be able to browse around lds.org even if Gospel Library can handle lds.org links.

I've filed bug reports with Apple for both issues, and suggest that anyone who cares do the same. The more bug reports, the more Apple will take it seriously.
quandmeme

Post by quandmeme »

I'm on the public beta and the issue affects LDS tools links as well. iOS 9 seems very aggressive about dumping the user to an app. I say IOS 9 but it's only LDS.org that does this for me. I have tried two other browsers and the behavior persists in these (because the use the safari engine, right?).
hiltonc

Post by hiltonc »

I've since learned that because Gospel Library supports handoff with lds.org, it gets opted into app links by default. It should be opted out soon (waiting for a server change). In the meantime, enjoy living on the edge :)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

As a workaround, it looks like if you long-press an LDS.org link you can choose if you want to open it in a new tab or in Gospel Library.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
pcox1217

Post by pcox1217 »

I've been seeing this on the iOS 9 betas as well. @hiltonc - any update on that "server change" from July? Is that an lds.org change or an Apple change?
hiltonc

Post by hiltonc »

We made the server change but it didn't change anything. I'm less concerned about it now, though, because the issue doesn't appear in the latest developer beta. I don't have a public beta so I don't know.
marknlawson

Post by marknlawson »

So it appears that the issue discovered during the developer phase of OS9 still exists. I just upgraded this morning and now I cannot log into lds.org and access leader resources because it tries to open links inside the Gospel Library App.

Not sure if the Gospel Library App needs an update or if a setting needs to be changed on my iPhone or IPad. Any help would be appreciated.
dappel

Post by dappel »

Same thing for me when I try to login to lds.org it takes me directly to Gospel Library App. This is bad since I cannot access Leader Resources to update membership. How do we make sure HQ/apple are looking at this? This is bad.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”