All day events showing as two days long

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
bchill15

All day events showing as two days long

Post by bchill15 »

I imported an(iCal format) calendar into my ward Young Womens calendar from Google calendar. Events marked as all day are showing up as two days long in LDS.Org calendar. If I manually correct the event it fixes the entry until I refresh the browser screen. Upon refreshing it reverts back to all day events showing up as two days long.

Then I manually created an all day event in LDS.org and saved it. It showed up as two days long as well. So the issue is happening on both imported events and manually created events.

Imported and Manually created events that have specific start/end times are showing up properly.

Working on:
Windows 7
Chrome Browser Version 43.0.2357.130 m (current version)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: All day events showing as two days long

Post by jdlessley »

There have historically been DST issues with the Calendar that result in the problem you describe. Could you provide some more detail information. What time zone are you in? What is the date of the event with the problem?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DST problems generally apply to events on the "other side" of the DST switch. For today, in the US, that would be events starting with November. October and before shouldn't be affected.

But there can also be oddities when importing iCal files. Something could have been misinterpreted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rscroggin

Post by rscroggin »

I have the same problem. I'm trying to put Memorial Day on the 2016 Stake Calendar. I click May 30 on the calendar. I enter "Memorial Day" as the event and check the box for All Day. Everything else defaults. I click Create Event. When the calendar returns both May 30 and 31 are highlighted.

Sometimes when I do this the correct date is the only one highlighted, but when I move to a new month and come back to May the calendar has changed and both are highlighted.
rscroggin

Post by rscroggin »

This error happens every time I try to enter an all day event. The only way I can work around this is to 1) Enter the event name on the correct date, but without selecting "All Day" and without changing any start/stop times. Then, create the event. 2) After that, edit that same event and select "All Day". Then, Update that event. The event is changed to an all day event and stays that changed. It works, but it sure makes for a lot of extra work.

BTW Our stake is in northwest Indiana. Most of Indiana is in the Eastern Time Zone, but our stake is actually in the Central Time Zone. We are on Chicago Time. Don't know, if that has anything to do with the problem.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

When you create an event, the calendar uses the current time according to your computer. When the calendar is viewed, events are shown (and adjusted if necessarily) based on the time of the computer it's being viewed on. So if I view an event on a computer in the Eastern time zone, it could show up as 6:00 PM, but on a computer in the Central time zone the same event would show up as 5:00 PM. It's possible that your computer or device is connecting to an internet network of some sort that's giving out the wrong time, perhaps a cell phone tower just over the time zone border...

Another possibility has to do with a daylight savings time bug that can affect events scheduled before or after the daylight savings time change.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
rscroggin

Post by rscroggin »

I'm both editing the calendar and viewing it from the same location, which is in the Central Time Zone. I'm using a desktop machine to do this. Also, the problem can occur (and has occurred) in all months of the year.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rscroggin wrote:Also, the problem can occur (and has occurred) in all months of the year.
Does that include dates in August, September and October of 2015? Or only dates in and after November 2015?

Anything on the "other side" of DST tends to be problematic. But if you're experiencing it on "this side" of DST, then that's a new bug.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:When you create an event, the calendar uses the current time zone according to your computer. When the calendar is viewed, events are shown (and adjusted if necessarily) based on the time zone of the computer it's being viewed on.
Least anyone gets confused, I fixed it for you. :)

As pointed out, mobile devices can have their time zones change unexpectedly. (And I've caught Verizon Wireless playing fast and loose with time zones. Nothing you'd notice looking at "local time", but something that can mess you up in scheduling things on the other side of DST.)

rscroggin

Post by rscroggin »

"russellhltn wrote
Does that include dates in August, September and October of 2015? Or only dates in and after November 2015?

Yes. I added an all-day event to August 2015 and it appeared as a two day event on the calendar.

Return to “Calendar”