LCR 3.0: Out of unit record for adults

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mevans

LCR 3.0: Out of unit record for adults

Post by mevans »

In LCR 3.0, we are told we can create out-of-unit membership records. The example given is for children; however, I'm wondering if the same concept applies to adults? For example, suppose we have an adult who is not in our ward but visits frequently due to business travel. Could we create an out-of-unit record in such situations, and maybe even extend a calling? Or maybe another is a YSA coming home from school for 2 months during the summer. It's less than the 3 months for which we should get the records, but we want to track the individual while here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LCR 3.0: Out of unit record for adults

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:but we want to track the individual while here.
"Track" brings up another question. I don't expect the out-of-unit member to influence the ward quarterly report in any way, including HT/VT visits. But can you assign them teachers? In normal situations, that's the responsibility of the home ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mevans wrote:Could we create an out-of-unit record in such situations, and maybe even extend a calling?
Programmatically it is possible. At least in MLS it is possible. I do not have experience or access to LCR 3.0 to know if it is possible. But according to the seventh paragraph of Handbook 2, 19.1.1, a calling may only be extended after a person’s membership record is on file in the ward.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:But according to the seventh paragraph of Handbook 2, 19.1.1, a calling may only be extended after a person’s membership record is on file in the ward.
But keep in mind there are other cases where a calling is extended to serve in a different unit. So it's not absolute. And I'm not sure at what level that cuts off. Although I agree it sounds a little odd. I'm not sure what situations would arise that a stake would need outside members for a Seminary Teacher.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

In my experience, when a person is called to a calling outside of their ward, it is the home stake presidency and the service stake presidency who coordinate to make it happen. I don't think a bishopric would be able to initiate that.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:But keep in mind there are other cases where a calling is extended to serve in a different unit.
This is correct. A bishop alone does not have authority to extend a call to a person who's membership record is not in his ward. The circumstances addressed by the OP are different than those of out of unit callings under the direction of a stake president or higher authority.

In cases where the out of unit calling is under the direction of a stake president or higher authority the bishop of the ward in which the member resides (where the membership record is kept) will be consulted, in part, for the reasons identified in paragraph 5 of HB 2, 19.1.1.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mevans

Post by mevans »

By "track" I was mostly thinking of inviting and fellowshipping. One situation I've seen in the past in our ward were two people from Utah who were here trying to help out with a business. They were here a lot and came to our ward a lot. Their families were in Utah. Sometimes the family came to California for the weekend and other times husbands when home to see their families on the weekends. The fact was that they were here without their families and involved in our ward, even though their records were with their families in Utah. This went on for about 9 months. If we're able to make out-of-unit records, then at least they could be remembered more, invited to things, asked to help with assignments, etc.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

mevans wrote:I'm wondering if the same concept applies to adults?
Yes.
mevans wrote:For example, suppose we have an adult who is not in our ward but visits frequently due to business travel. Could we create an out-of-unit record in such situations, and maybe even extend a calling?
You could create an out-of-unit record in those situations. You could record an out-of-unit calling for that member. The actual decision to extend a calling should be a subject of discussion between the two bishops involved.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”