Deleting a duplicate membership record in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
davemecham77

Deleting a duplicate membership record in MLS

Post by davemecham77 »

Hello,
I just added a child blessing ordinance for a baby in our ward that already had a record. After entering the ordinance I noticed that a duplicate record (without a record number) is now appearing in MLS. I tried to figure out how to delete it but couldn't. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave Mecham
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Deleting a duplicate membership record in MLS

Post by russellhltn »

Where are you looking that you see this duplicate? Since there's no membership record, I'm wondering if it's in the children's section of the parent's record. In that case there is a "remove" link on the right side of each listing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

davemecham77 wrote:Hello,
I just added a child blessing ordinance for a baby in our ward that already had a record. After entering the ordinance I noticed that a duplicate record (without a record number) is now appearing in MLS. I tried to figure out how to delete it but couldn't. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave Mecham
I think that the new record hasn't been fully processed. I'd do a send/receive and wait a day or so and then do another send/receive. I probably won't actually take a day but it shouldn't take longer than that. You should end up with a record with a membership number. At that point you can cancel the new one using the procedure described here: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Duplicate_membership_records
davemecham77

Post by davemecham77 »

Yes, I am seeing it when I pull up membership individual record and the boy's name is listed twice in the household section. I do not see any 'remove' option, however. I only see an option to Add Member. Even if the record is 'removed' will it still show up in our ward system, or be deleted?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

davemecham77 wrote:Yes, I am seeing it when I pull up membership individual record and the boy's name is listed twice in the household section. I do not see any 'remove' option, however. I only see an option to Add Member. Even if the record is 'removed' will it still show up in our ward system, or be deleted?
Removing the entry from the household section won't remove it from MLS. It will only remove it from that household (and put it in it's own household). You'll have to cancel the additional record using Membership > Records > Cancel Record. But I'm not sure that's a good idea until the record has been fully processed and has a record number.

However, if it's already been some time since the record was created and it still doesn't have a membership number then perhaps one of the records is really a temporary record. In that case you should be able to go to Membership > Records > Remove Temporary Records to remove it.
davemecham77

Post by davemecham77 »

Very good. Thank you for the info. I'll give that a try and see if it works.
noel.layante

Post by noel.layante »

Can I ask I want to delete records because it has duplicate but both have membership record number already. How can I delete the another record? Thank You
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

noel.layante wrote:Can I ask I want to delete records because it has duplicate but both have membership record number already. How can I delete the another record? Thank You
In LCR, select Membership > Merge Duplicate Records from the menu.
shawnward

Post by shawnward »

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”