Sacrament and Class Attendance

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jkesselfell

Sacrament and Class Attendance

Post by jkesselfell »

Being new to the WC calling I was shocked at how much paper we use for attendance rolls.
I know that towards the end of 2014 we will be able to enter our HT/VT activities into LCR and I wondered if we could do the same for Sacrament and Class Attendance, especially if these can be rolled up on the system to automatically create the quarter end reports?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Sacrament and Class Attendance

Post by jdlessley »

Good suggestion. However, the forum is primarily user to user support. Those that make the decisions necessary to implement this may not see the thread. The best method to get your suggestion seen is to send feedback using the feedback link on the main LCR page or on the main LDS.org page (light blue banner near the bottom of the page that says "Do You Have Feedback on This Page?").
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
siredge

Post by siredge »

Please post back on the forum with any reply you get- you definitely aren't the only one thinking this way.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Unless you plan to pass around a tablet or have just one person record the roll, I can't see how you'd go completely paperless.

I think our Sunday School Gospel Doctrine class is maybe 6 sheets of paper. Even if you updated it every month, I don't see it as all that excessive.

Maybe I'm missing where all the paper is being used.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
siredge

Post by siredge »

The paper benefit is nice, but I want it so that everyone that is present is marked and properly classified- it would save people from having to go back and determine who was teaching, which people are YSAs, prospective Elders, etc.
jirp

Post by jirp »

If all the leaders had access to a roll section in LCR then it wouldn't matter which leader took the roll and reporting could automatically go clear to the quarterly report. The clerk would only need to intervene if there was missing information. It would also allow for automatic flagging of problems to leaders just like the seminary roll stuff does.

As for paper use it takes more paper than you would think although in the scheme of things it is small. By the time you get each member of the presidency a copy of the roll for each organization in hopes someone will bring it and take roll each time it is takes more. Then you need to do it monthly rather than quarterly to try and keep people in the habit of taking roll. Those have to be handed out individually to each member of each presidency at the end of the month with a reminder you need the current month back in. Some you will get immediately and some you will spend the next month regularly nagging till you get it back in. But that means for example say YM is 1 page each for each priesthood level. That means you print 4 adult leader copies at 3 pages each and 12 ym presidency copies at 1 page each for 24 pages a month for YM. Same for YW with another 24 pages. Say EQ is 2 pages for copies giving 8 pages. HP is 4 pages for 16 total. RS is 7 pages for 28 total. Primary is each individual class x 5 copies(4 leaders and 1 teacher copy) Say some classes combined you and you have 30 pages a month here. Already without SS or YSA included you have 130 pages per month. Since it has to be done monthly in hopes of being able to get the quarterly info in you are talking basically 3 to 5 reams of paper a year per ward for rolls. It actually isn't quite that bad because some leaders will do their calling so not all of those have to be handed out. But it is still a fair amount of paper to hand out.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jirp wrote:Those have to be handed out individually to each member of each presidency at the end of the month with a reminder you need the current month back in.
I've never seen any ward that hands out four rolls per organization. One roll to the secretary should be sufficient. That cuts your calculation of paper usage by 75%.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Some of the classes in my ward do forget to bring the roll, but rather than each presidency member having a copy of the roll what they do is just pass around a blank piece of paper and everyone writes their name. This works just as well.

That said, I'd love to see a roll in LCR, potentially that could be brought up on an iPad and passed around.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jirp

Post by jirp »

aebrown wrote:
jirp wrote:Those have to be handed out individually to each member of each presidency at the end of the month with a reminder you need the current month back in.
I've never seen any ward that hands out four rolls per organization. One roll to the secretary should be sufficient. That cuts your calculation of paper usage by 75%.
I wish it was that easy. It took me 3 years of failures to build up. Plain and simply put one roll won't do it in our ward.
CWatsonJr

Post by CWatsonJr »

I just saw this thread because I wanted to give some input on the color scheme of the attendance reports on LCR (the light blue color does not photocopy). I saw the post on how to give feedback about LCR and I have done that - the reason I am posting now, however, is because of the portion of this post regarding Sacrament Attendance.

I use LDS Tools on my iPad to count how many members attend Sacrament meeting. There is an option for "Lists" where you can click on each member who is there and it will total it up for you. I then will write down any investigators, out of unit members, family, or friends (basically, anyone else who is there) and add them to the number. I then email this list (members and others who attended) with the total number to the bishopric.

I am in the process of developing a spreadsheet system where I can dump this list into an Excel sheet and have Excel generate a report for me of who has and hasn't attended Sacrament meeting in the last month (I may expand that to a quarter if the bishop wants it that way - right now, he only wants it for the last month). So far, I have three weeks of data under my belt and it looks like it is working just fine.

After I am done compiling the report, I PDF it and email it to the bishopric.

Regarding the class attendance portion of this post, I would be very interested if there was any feedback on if they plan to include this in LCR. Then, as it was pointed out, attendance reports could be generated automatically from LCR - wouldn't that be awesome!!!!

Anyway, I just wanted to post about how I have been doing Sacrament attendance in case it will help someone else or if someone else has a better way - they will post that so it can help us all.

Regards.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”