export households from ward directory?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
barev222

Re: export households from ward directory?

Post by barev222 »

Having the same problem. Looks like I can still print the directory and just copy the data over into a spreadsheet. Kind of a pain but still workable.
Simonga25

Post by Simonga25 »

I am Executive Secretary and I would like to export membership contact lists simply to update my phone and email contacts. Of course it would be easiest if there was simply a sync button in LDS Tools. Importing each contact individually from LDS Tools isn't all that hard albeit time consuming, but its frustrating when you know there could be a better way.

Furthermore, since it seems online access here is slowly replacing MLS, exporting, as others said, is irreplaceable.
scottlynnrichards

Post by scottlynnrichards »

I am the building cleaning coordinator I must have a complete ward directory with as much contact information as possible in order to properly communicate the cleaning assignments. I was exporting the directory; now I must ask the executive secretary to do it for me. I still get access to the data, because I must have it to complete my calling. Now, It just makes my job more difficult and time consuming.
tobinbeck1

Post by tobinbeck1 »

It makes no sense to remove the functionality of exporting a list I can see. If I can see it I can copy it. Removing export functionality just makes it more difficult to copy it. I can print a PDF version of it. I can scan the PDF and distribute the scanned image at will. What makes paper more secure than electronic, other than ease of distribution? If the functionality was limited to people with member ID's then the same security level is in place for the electronic version as the paper version.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tobinbeck1 wrote:Removing export functionality just makes it more difficult to copy it.
It makes it harder to load into a database and used for other things.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jmower

Post by jmower »

As a new ward clerk I have a question. Why would I want to export households?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jmower wrote:As a new ward clerk I have a question. Why would I want to export households?
The basic answer is that you can fulfill all your responsibilities without exporting households. Now that clerks have access to the Directory and to Leader and Clerk Resources on LDS.org, LDS Tools on their mobile devices, and MLS on the clerk computer, there are abundant ways to find the information you need.

A small number of quite technical clerks have set up databases to create their own more powerful reporting mechanisms, and those databases typically imported data that was exported from MLS or from the Directory. Some people have used the Directory's export feature to import data into various contact managers. But generally there are other ways to accomplish these tasks without using the export feature.
pzylik

Post by pzylik »

Well, that's disappointing. I'm in the RS presidency and we wanted to export the list and then sort it by postal code so we could each set up a compact route to contact sisters as a visiting teaching interview/how ya doin' kind of thing with personal visits. Postal codes were a better way to sort than by addresses.

:/

Now this just got harder.
pzylik

Post by pzylik »

Oh yeah, and since this isn't an option anymore, you need to remove the "how to" from the the help page.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

pzylik wrote:Oh yeah, and since this isn't an option anymore, you need to remove the "how to" from the the help page.
It's still there - depending on your calling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”