Antivirus software for unofficial family history computers

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
ulupoi

Antivirus software for unofficial family history computers

Post by ulupoi »

Hello,

In our stake, a couple of buildings have unofficial FHCs. These consist of a few computers in a room at the meetinghouse that are used to teach people to do family history work. Am I allowed to put the clerk's version of Sophos antivirus on those computers? I've called IT support and local unit support three times about this. So far, two people have told me that it is allowed, and one person has told me that it is not allowed. Could I get an answer from someone who actually knows the official policy, preferably, someone directly involved in handling our licensing contracts? I don't want to violate any licensing agreements.

Thank you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Antivirus software for unofficial family history compute

Post by russellhltn »

As far as I know, these computers officially don't exist. They're not listed in any policy manual. I don't know how the licensing works, I doubt if any of them visit this forum. So I don't know how you'd get a definitive word. I would expect that any licensing deal would be based on the number of computers involved. And CHQ isn't likely aware of your machines.

As for trying to use any free alternatives, you'd have to read the licensing very carefully as they may be free only for personal use, and not for non-profits.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Antivirus software for unofficial family history compute

Post by Mikerowaved »

I know the free version of Comodo Antivirus is OK to use for non-profit organizations, also Panda Cloud. There may be others as well.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History Centers”