A few questions about ordering supplies

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
Mr_Dove

A few questions about ordering supplies

Post by Mr_Dove »

I've looked through the online training already and haven't found the answers to these questions.

My first question is, is there a form that should be completed when ordering either office supplies or church supplies such as sacrament cups, toner, pens, etc? I don't even fully know all the items that I'm responsible for ordering yet. That's a topic for another post.

Here are 3 real scenarios.

Scenario 1: My bishop asked me to order 12 duty to god booklets. I just order them online and bill them to the ward? Does anything else need to be done? Nothing signed? No further permissions?

Scenario 2: The clerks office doesn't have any pens, pencils, pencil sharpener, etc. As the clerk, do I just order those items or should I fill something out? Ask permission from the bishop?

Scenario 3: The financial clerk requested some expandable file folders to replace our standard file folders. Papers are spewing out the sides of the existing ones. Again, do I just order them or does someone else need to approve them first?

My unrelated question: I went into the lds.store web site to order the aforementioned Duty to God booklets. I billed it to the ward but then it asked me where to have them shipped. The only option was to ship them to the ward building but that didn't seem to make sense because the building is empty all week. Where should items that I order get shipped?
eblood66

Re: A few questions about ordering supplies

Post by eblood66 »

Mr_Dove wrote:I've looked through the online training already and haven't found the answers to these questions.

My first question is, is there a form that should be completed when ordering either office supplies or church supplies such as sacrament cups, toner, pens, etc? I don't even fully know all the items that I'm responsible for ordering yet. That's a topic for another post.

Here are 3 real scenarios.

Scenario 1: My bishop asked me to order 12 duty to god booklets. I just order them online and bill them to the ward? Does anything else need to be done? Nothing signed? No further permissions?
According to policy the bishop needs to approve all expenditures before they are made. But that can be a verbal approval. If he asks you to do it, I think you can assume he approves. However, at some point the bishop does also need to record his approval. There are a couple ways this can be done. If your ward has created a reimbursement request form (which should be the case) then you can fill that out and have the bishop sign it. Or you can print the purchase statement that gets sent to MLS (in the Financial Statements area) and just have the bishop sign that. Those should then be filed with other documentation for other expenses like checks.
Mr_Dove wrote:Scenario 2: The clerks office doesn't have any pens, pencils, pencil sharpener, etc. As the clerk, do I just order those items or should I fill something out? Ask permission from the bishop?
Again the bishop needs to approve of the purchase beforehand but that can be verbal. And then at some point he needs to sign something. The same options apply.
Mr_Dove wrote: Scenario 3: The financial clerk requested some expandable file folders to replace our standard file folders. Papers are spewing out the sides of the existing ones. Again, do I just order them or does someone else need to approve them first?
Basically the same situation as 2.
Mr_Dove wrote: My unrelated question: I went into the lds.store web site to order the aforementioned Duty to God booklets. I billed it to the ward but then it asked me where to have them shipped. The only option was to ship them to the ward building but that didn't seem to make sense because the building is empty all week. Where should items that I order get shipped?
I've never had the option to ship to the ward building. The option has always been to ship to either myself (which isn't always allowed) or to the bishop's address. I wonder if the bishop's address is not recorded correctly. You might want to call LUS and have them check.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mr_Dove wrote:Scenario 2: The clerks office doesn't have any pens, pencils, pencil sharpener, etc. As the clerk, do I just order those items or should I fill something out? Ask permission from the bishop?

Scenario 3: The financial clerk requested some expandable file folders to replace our standard file folders. Papers are spewing out the sides of the existing ones. Again, do I just order them or does someone else need to approve them first?
Once you have the bishop's approval, I'd head to the local office supply store and get what you need, and then apply for a reimbursement using the receipts. I don't think the lds on-line store goes much into common office supply.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Once you have the bishop's approval, I'd head to the local office supply store and get what you need, and then apply for a reimbursement using the receipts. I don't think the lds on-line store goes much into common office supply.
Although it's certainly an option to purchase such items at the local office supply store, it's very convenient and cost-effective to use the LDS online store (store.lds.org). If you sign in as a clerk, then go to the "Unit Materials" area, you'll see the "Office Supplies and Other Materials Available from Staples". You'll find that Staples supplies everything you need (for example, it has 158 different pencil sharpeners!), at discounted prices because of the Church's contract with them, and free (and quick) shipping to the bishop's home.

I used to go to the local office supply store, but the discounts at Staples are great and the convenience of a huge online store is tough to beat. Make sure you go to the Staples online store through the Unit Materials portal at store.lds.org so that you'll get the discounts and have the option for direct billing to the ward.
georgemasiasomua

Post by georgemasiasomua »

Im new to the calling as well, but can i order supllies from Stables if Im in Australia?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

georgemasiasomua wrote:Im new to the calling as well, but can i order supllies from Stables if Im in Australia?
I don't think so. I just experimented with changing my country on store.lds.org to Australia, and the option for ordering from Staples disappeared.
jmower

Post by jmower »

I am a new clerk and tried to order through Staples. It asks for a customer # (which I don't have) and a 7 digit ward # (our number has 5 digits) and a password (and I have no idea what password to use...I have used all the passwords that I use to get into MLS). So, I dispute that it is easy to order through Staples. Is is permissible for me to order through Amazon and then submit a bill to get reimbursed?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Have you tried this?
- Login to lds.org
- Go to Leader and Clerk Resources
- Applications, Order Office Supplies
- Follow the procedures here:
https://www.lds.org/help/support/order- ... s?lang=eng
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
jmower

Post by jmower »

Yes, I tried those things, but I do not have a customer number that I know of. Our ward number is a 5 digit number, not a 7-digit number as directed, and none of the passwords work that get me into MLS. Is it permissible for me to use Amazon and get reimbursed? It seems much easier.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

MLS passwords have NOTHING to do with passwords found anywhere else.

I'd follow the instructions found here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”