Correcting Tithing post after separation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kendall54

Correcting Tithing post after separation

Post by kendall54 »

A couple in the ward recently separated. They had made their tithing donation with both names and so the tithing was posted under his name. The wife came to me and told me that most of the tithing was from her earnings, with some from him. I know this to be the case as he was going to school and she working. She would like to have the donations divided up between the two of them correctly. I was unable to figure out how to split the donations that were joint donations so that the part that was hers could be recorded under her name and his under his name. Is there a way to split the donation?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Correcting Tithing post after separation

Post by aebrown »

kendall54 wrote:A couple in the ward recently separated. They had made their tithing donation with both names and so the tithing was posted under his name. The wife came to me and told me that most of the tithing was from her earnings, with some from him. I know this to be the case as he was going to school and she working. She would like to have the donations divided up between the two of them correctly. I was unable to figure out how to split the donations that were joint donations so that the part that was hers could be recorded under her name and his under his name. Is there a way to split the donation?
You can change the donor name, and you can even add a donation slip with a new name, as long as the total amount stays the same.

But I would be careful about this. If you have donation slips made out in her name, and the clerks simply recorded it under his name because that was how they had previously asked that it be done, then you are on solid ground in changing the donations. But if the donation slips were made out in his name, or in a joint name, then it would not be prudent to change the donations solely at her direction. You would need to get the husband's permission as well.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”