Bug with Highlights

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
josepharendtwright

Bug with Highlights

Post by josepharendtwright »

So while preparing for my lesson, I noticed that while using a PC (in Google Chrome) I could not highlight part of the material, to save for reference later. It was a section in a talk that had several indented paragraphs, (see: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... h?lang=eng, near the bottom of the article where the author discusses three main points)

Anyway, I thought that it was interesting that I could highlight things both above and below the indented paragraphs, yet not highlight anything in between. Even when i started above or below, and then dragged the cursor over those areas, it only highlighted words without the indentation. I also tried it in Internet Explorer, and then it wouldn't highlight at all...Also, in Chrome, I had to toggle the "Study Mode" option on and off, and then it started working for most of the article...but that didn't help me in IE. I also looked at some other articles, and this problem was not limited to the first article I read.

So, is this a bug that will be fixed soon? I just wanted to bring it to someone's attention, and if anyone knows a solution, let me know! Thanks.

-Joe
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Bug with Highlights

Post by aebrown »

As I examined the HTML, it appears that most regular paragraphs are specially prepared with classes and identifiers that identify each word. But for indented paragraphs, poems (such as hymn lyrics) and other text that is formatted other than as a regular paragraph, those classes and identifiers are not present.

Clearly fixing this will involve fixing the formatting of every piece of content that has non-paragraph formatting. That would be a large task, so I doubt that it could be fixed quickly. The first step is to make sure that the right people see it. I'd suggest you use the Submit Feedback link to report this.
josepharendtwright

Post by josepharendtwright »

Thank you; I did in fact copy this post and submit it on that very link as you suggested. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get fixed.

On a side note, I used my Android device to highlight that same area, and on my phone, when I am logged in it that highlight does in fact show up, yet on my PC it does not. I imagine the coding is different, but at least it works on that platform.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

We are painfully aware of the sections that don't allow annotations. As stated, this is a very large undertaking to make work everywhere. Initial steps are underway to make this happen. No details on a timeline to announce, but work is progressing.
micheleh

Post by micheleh »

I have a different problem. I can highlight scripture, but when I come back to continue reading after being logged out, my highlights have shifted/changed. I noticed it yesterday and fixed it. It happened again today (1 Ne 1). I'm fairly new to the technology side of things, am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?
bonnieg3

Post by bonnieg3 »

My husband has a Dell Venue 8 Pro and cannot highlight any scriptures downloaded from the app. I have an iPad and have no problem with highlighting. I have even watched the "how to" video to see if we were missing something. Does this feature not work with Dell's?
mevans

Post by mevans »

bonnieg3 wrote:My husband has a Dell Venue 8 Pro and cannot highlight any scriptures downloaded from the app. I have an iPad and have no problem with highlighting. I have even watched the "how to" video to see if we were missing something. Does this feature not work with Dell's?
The Dell Venue 8 Pro is a Windows tablet (not Android), correct? Are you using the Windows 8 Gospel Library app or a web browser? If you're using the app, I suggest you ask your question in the forum for the Windows 8 Gospel Library app. Based on comments I see in that forum, there are several bugs with the app.
ch715a

Post by ch715a »

Hi. I have just become aware of this post as I am experiencing this problem when trying to prepare my Sunday school lessons. I appreciate that this will be a massive undertaking but would it be possible to prioritise the manuals being used this year so that teachers and students can prepare and study for their lessons more effectively?
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

I am a CSM who has specialized in finding ways around the bugs in Study Notebook. Study Notebook is very much a work in progress.

The current version of Study Notebook does not allow one to highlight any sort of special formatting, including special fonts, some italics, long quotations, or bullets. Here is one way to work around the bug:

1. Highlight the bullets.
2. Hit CTRL and C at the same time.
3. Highlight the sentence *before* the bullets and when the little box comes up....
4. Click on the 'Note' part.
5. Then, hit CTRL and V. The bullets that you felt were important will be saved in your journal and accessible from the original page, even if they are not highlighted on the page.

Study Notebook also does not work with every page on LDs.org - only scriptures, manuals and magazine articles. You can use a similar procedure to save important information on these other types of pages:
1. Highlight the information.
2. Hit CTRL and C at the same time.
3. Create a new journal entry.
4. Click on the note part.
5. Then, hit CTRL and V. The information that you wanted to highlight will be saved in your journal, even if it is not highlighted on the page.

I hope this helps. God bless. -PB, Response Team CSM
kelosh

Post by kelosh »

micheleh wrote:I have a different problem. I can highlight scripture, but when I come back to continue reading after being logged out, my highlights have shifted/changed. I noticed it yesterday and fixed it. It happened again today (1 Ne 1). I'm fairly new to the technology side of things, am I doing something wrong or is there a bug?
I'm having this same problem. I am coming back months and months later and finding highlights, notes, and tags linked to the wrong parts of a scripture or passage and in a different color than I set it in. Mostly light pink and yellow which I never use because they're too hard for me to see. Any idea on what is causing this?

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”