Primary vs Cub Scouts

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
kirtkennedy

Primary vs Cub Scouts

Post by kirtkennedy »

On lds tool>Callings there is a seperate listing for Cub Scouts and Primary. I noticed it is not seperated when I look at other Wards....is this something we have set up differently in MLS?
I would think it would be consistent in every Ward.
kirtkennedy

Re: Primary vs Cub Scouts

Post by kirtkennedy »

I also noticed that the Cubmaster and Webelos Leader are listed under "Primary" and the Bear leaders are under "Cub Scouts"?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I think that your ward has a separate organization set up for Cub Scouts under Miscellaneous organizations. Which would be using custom positions instead of standard positions. Have you clerk check and see. If this is the case he should delete the organization under Miscellaneous and move all the positions under the primary.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Gary_Miller wrote:I think that your ward has a separate organization set up for Cub Scouts under Miscellaneous organizations. Which would be using custom positions instead of standard positions. Have you clerk check and see. If this is the case he should delete the organization under Miscellaneous and move all the positions under the primary.
I doubt that's the case. My ward has used standard callings for all the Cub Scout positions, and yet in LDS Tools I see a similar problem with some Cub Scout leadership positions showing up under Primary and others under Cub Scouts. And yet when I look in Leader Resources, everything is split out into far more detailed organizations (Cub Scouts, Webelos, Bear Den, Wolf Den, etc.) and everyone is in the correct position.

I think it's much more likely that some changes have been made to the way organizations are handled in the back end databases and services, and LDS Tools hasn't caught up yet.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

If you're using standard callings and everything is organized in the same place, you will see Cubmaster, Cub committee chair, etc. under Primary and den leaders under Cub Scouts. aebrown's assumption (changes to the way organizations are handled in the back end services) is correct. Leader Resources shows gives you a glimpse into the hierarchical view. MLS flattens it so that you see the dens at the same level as Primary classes and activity days.
kirtkennedy

Post by kirtkennedy »

It would seem to me that the whole Cub Scout organization should be together. Either all under Cub Scouts or all under Primary. It's counter intuitive to seperate ....just my oppinion.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kirtkennedy wrote:It would seem to me that the whole Cub Scout organization should be together. Either all under Cub Scouts or all under Primary. It's counter intuitive to seperate ....just my oppinion.
It is that way in the master database (CDOL). As has been metioned Clerk Resources is displaying it correctly, but LDS Tools isn't at the moment.

I figured out the problem. Directory and LDS Tools are using an older way of getting the organizations. When we added the cub scout dens that created a third level and so code that sets up what is the top level only was looking up one level (so it would find Cub Scouts and not keep going up to primary). I have cleaned up the data now sow it should look better.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

And that is why we like having someone like Ryan on this forum.... Problem reported, problem tested, problem solved! Thank you Ryan and all the programmers in the LDS Tech community! You make our callings much easier!

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”