One more building restriction question

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
marcogaertner

One more building restriction question

Post by marcogaertner »

Hi Folks,

I've looked for the answer here, but I have not found it so far, so let me ask it. I am the stake's computer clerk.

I've been asked to make it so only units that attend a specific building can reserve rooms in that building. We ran some tests in October, and it seemed to work then, but it doesn't look like it works now anymore (??, could be mistaken...). At the time, we created a daily repeating, year long, entire building, restriction for Ward A, and then another similar restriction for Ward B. Members for both Ward A and ward B could schedule events for the building, but nobody else. We tried a few case scenarios and it seemed to work.

Today, we performed the same test, but it only works as intended if the individual chooses "entire building" as the location. It will only allow calendar editors to schedule the entire building if she is part of Ward A or B. However, if the individual selects any rooms inside the building (Chapel, cultural hall, etc), and the individual is part of Ward A, it will say that Ward B has a restriction. If the individual is part of Ward B, it will say that Ward A has a restriction. Again, it works at building level, but not room level... I tried changing the restrictions to be at the room level (as opposed to ticking the entire building checkbox), but that did not help.

Was any code released after October that may have changed the behavior, or did we just test wrong? Is there a way of doing what I've been asked to do, or am I doing something wrong? Why does it work for the building, but not the rooms? Thanks!!

Regards,
-Marco
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: One more building restriction question

Post by russellhltn »

marcogaertner wrote:if the individual selects any rooms inside the building (Chapel, cultural hall, etc), and the individual is part of Ward A, it will say that Ward B has a restriction. If the individual is part of Ward B, it will say that Ward A has a restriction.
That's my understanding of how it works - but it's considered a bug, not a feature. No time frame for correction.

You may have to remove the restrictions and simply instruct others to not to schedule their events there. As a building scheduler (you have to be one to create restrictions), you can deal with anyone who doesn't follow instructions by editing their events and then giving a follow-up phone call. It might take a few times, but the members should get the message in short order.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

*** EDIT - I misunderstood what the units in Locations and Rooms allowed. Sorry, the info below is incorrect. ***

You could consider the option of configuring the "Locations and Rooms" under the settings gear to only allow the units that attend a specific location the ability to use that location in their event creation. It is pretty restrictive, but I think that is what you are trying to accomplish. I would be sure to keep the stake "unit" under all locations so stake leaders can make location assignments.

This would eliminate the need to create and maintain a restriction.
Last edited by dshep2020 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dshep2020 wrote:You could consider the option of configuring the "Locations and Rooms" under the settings gear to only allow the units that attend a specific location the ability to use that location in their event creation. It is pretty restrictive, but I think that is what you are trying to accomplish. I would be sure to keep the stake "unit" under all locations so stake leaders can make location assignments.

This would eliminate the need to create and maintain a restriction.
I don't think that what you propose can actually be done. As long as a building is configured to be schedulable, it can be used for events by every unit in the stake. Assigning a unit to a location only affects whether restrictions can be created for that unit -- it has no effect on other units' ability to create events for that location.
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

aebrown wrote:I don't think that what you propose can actually be done.
You are correct. Wrong on my part. Sorry for the misinformation. So yeah, restriction is the way to go! :o
marcogaertner

Post by marcogaertner »

Thanks everyone. So, a bug... How does one volunteer as a coder to fix such a bug? Again, thanks for the confirmation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marcogaertner wrote:Thanks everyone. So, a bug... How does one volunteer as a coder to fix such a bug? Again, thanks for the confirmation.
You can go over to project, but I'm not sure if they are accepting volunteer coders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
marcogaertner wrote:Thanks everyone. So, a bug... How does one volunteer as a coder to fix such a bug? Again, thanks for the confirmation.
You can go over to project, but I'm not sure if they are accepting volunteer coders.
No, the calendar has not been a community project for a long time. Only church employees work on it now.
mevans

Post by mevans »

eblood66 wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
No, the calendar has not been a community project for a long time. Only church employees work on it now.
We're getting off topic. I made a comment responding to the question of how to help on church projects in the Development Help Wanted forum: Church Technology Service Missions topic.

Return to “Calendar”