Lesson Schedules 2.1.4 Released

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Lesson Schedules 2.1.4 Released

Post by jeffevannelson »

We have released a new version of Lesson.

Notes on Updates
-New 2014 Manuals
-Fixed ordering issues for 2014
mevans

Re: Lesson Schedules 2.1.4 Released

Post by mevans »

I still don't see the 2014 Primary Sharing Time manual available. Is it going to be available on Lesson Schedules?
angelikahertapetty

Post by angelikahertapetty »

I read that the new lesson Schedule needs to be downloaded in your ward and then you can download from your Branch or Stake, so far none of this has happened in our Branch
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

angelikahertapetty wrote:I read that the new lesson Schedule needs to be downloaded in your ward and then you can download from your Branch or Stake, so far none of this has happened in our Branch
Lesson Schedules is not an application that needs to be downloaded and installed on a computer. It is a web based application run and hosted on Church servers.

Your unit organization leaders and administrators do need to set up the 2014 events, classes, and lessons. This does not happen automatically even if your unit set up and used Lesson Schedules for 2013.

More information about setting up Lesson Schedules is found in Lesson Schedules Help: Setting Up Lesson Schedules. There are some default classes ready to use. But even these must be activated by an administrator or the appropriate organization presidency.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

angelikahertapetty wrote:I read that the new lesson Schedule needs to be downloaded in your ward and then you can download from your Branch or Stake, so far none of this has happened in our Branch
There is no stake functionality in the current Lesson Schedules. However, for some classes the stake does set the timing of events (conferences) as well as specific lessons. You'll need to get that before setting up the ward's schedule. But obtaining that information has to be done the old-fashioned way. There's nothing the stake can input into the Lesson Scheduler.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote:There is no stake functionality in the current Lesson Schedules. However, for some classes the stake does set the timing of ... specific lessons.
I believe in the past the Stake was responsible for dictating the lessons on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Sundays, but from what I've read, there is no clear direction on this now.

From Handbook 2 (7.8.1 and 9.4.1) we see that 2nd and 3rd Sunday lessons are generally taught in the order they appear in the manual and that Priesthood and Relief Society should be on the same lesson. The 4th Sunday lesson is selected by the Stake President or Bishop.

I remember in the past that the 2nd and 3rd Sunday lesson schedule was dictated by "the brethren" and everyone in the church was on the same lesson on those weeks. Years ago, I remember a stake president visiting priesthood meeting and interrupting the lesson as it began, correcting everyone that we were on the wrong lesson and that "the brethren" have specified a different lesson for the day. He asked that we discuss the correct lesson, so we did.

Now it seems to be less of a hard guideline. I think this may be why the Lesson Schedule tool doesn't have any stake administrative features...most of the decision making doesn't appear to be up to the stake or "the brethren"; it's up to the ward leadership, who may receive some direction from the stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:I think this may be why the Lesson Schedule tool doesn't have any stake administrative features...most of the decision making doesn't appear to be up to the stake or "the brethren"; it's up to the ward leadership, who may receive some direction from the stake.
Maybe. I think the more likely answer is that other priorities are preventing the development of those features.

As pointed out, the 4th Sunday is set by the stake. Also, Priesthood and RS meetings are supposed to be on the same lesson on the 2nd and 3rd Sundays - roughly half the Sundays available - so why isn't there a function for the ward to set those lessons and save the trouble of replicating and manually syncing those classes on those Sundays?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

jeffevannelson wrote: -Fixed ordering issues for 2014
Is this the "Insert missing lessons" ability? Are the help files being updated to reflect this? The following help file segment should mention that in the case of an inserted ward conference, as in the example given, the "insert missing lessons" feature would "shift" them, or adjust the sequence properly to postpone the lessons? (my bold and italics below)
Granted, you may not know the dates for your ward conference at the beginning of the year, so most likely you won't always be able to add all events up front. However, if ward leaders plan to simply teach the scheduled less on ward conference, then you won't need to adjust the sequence to postpone lessons anyway.

Note that the next release of Lesson Schedules will provide a better workaround for this interaction between events and classes.
https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/les ... edules.htm

Return to “Lesson Schedules”