Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ulupoi

Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Post by ulupoi »

Hello, All.

Any problem with running MLS from within a Windows 7, Standard User (non-administrator) account?
Biggles

Re: Windows Standard User Account and MLS

Post by Biggles »

ulupoi wrote:Hello, All.

Any problem with running MLS from within a Windows 7, Standard User (non-administrator) account?
Yes! It has to be run from an administrator account. No problem with using Windows 7 though. I also think the account has to be labelled Clerk.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ulupoi wrote:Any problem with running MLS from within a Windows 7, Standard User (non-administrator) account?
Not advisable. As much as we'd like it to be a user account, we've been instructed via the computer setup instructions that it has to be an admin account. It does need to be able to do updates when they are sent down via send/receive.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

I have MLS set up on all our computers (Windows 7) on the main Clerk (administrator) account. But we are now considering setting up a Standard User (non-admin) account for missionaries and others to use. I'm just wondering what will happen if someone, intentionally or not, uses MLS from within the Standard User Account.

In testing a Standard User Account, I was able to open MLS and see all our information, and an address change I made there was still there when I later opened MLS from the Clerk account. I haven't tried a send/receive from within the Standard User Account.

Anyone have experience recording and sending donation and expense information from within the Standard User Account?

I can tell the bishoprics to always use the Clerk account for MLS, but if it is possible for them to use the wrong account, eventually, they will. I just want to know if there are any negative consequences.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ulupoi wrote:
ulupoi wrote:I can tell the bishoprics to always use the Clerk account for MLS, but if it is possible for them to use the wrong account, eventually, they will. I just want to know if there are any negative consequences.
Regardless of if it works or other people's experiences, you get to be the Ginny pig as I don't think that supported.

Personally, I'd remove the shortcuts for MLS for that user. That probably means you have to delete them and then recreate them in just the clerk account. That should limit the possibility of starting MLS from the wrong account.

If it was me, I'd probably set security such that the missionary login is denied access to the MLS executable.

I'm waiting to see what "the letter" says about missionary access and what they need to use. I know how to lock down a machine. (C drive? What C drive?)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

"I'm waiting to see what "the letter" says about missionary access and what they need to use."

Is there a letter coming with instructions? When is it expected? I'd hate to implement something on all our machines only to have to re-do it a short time later.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

russellhltn wrote:If it was me, I'd probably set security such that the missionary login is denied access to the MLS executable.
I'm just worried that we'll be instructed to give the missionaries access to MLS. Otherwise, that's a good idea. I can block access to MLS for now.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

ulupoi wrote:
russellhltn wrote:If it was me, I'd probably set security such that the missionary login is denied access to the MLS executable.
I'm just worried that we'll be instructed to give the missionaries access to MLS. Otherwise, that's a good idea. I can block access to MLS for now.
I wouldn't think we'd be told to give them access. It would provide them more information than they need. They can already access basic member directory information from lds.org which should be sufficient for their needs.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

eblood66 wrote:I wouldn't think we'd be told to give them access. It would provide them more information than they need. They can already access basic member directory information from lds.org which should be sufficient for their needs.
I'm fairly certain that the missionaries will not see any Directory information, other than their own wards. It would need them to be set up as an Out-of-Unit Members, which wouldn't be practical
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:I'm fairly certain that the missionaries will not see any Directory information, other than their own wards. It would need them to be set up as an Out-of-Unit Members, which wouldn't be practical
Nope. See Directory 2.5. Once the mission assigns them, they can see the directory.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”