MLS 3.6 Update - RTPatch

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: MLS 3.6 Update - RTPatch

Post by lajackson »

I see the popup box is titled User Account Control. Perhaps we are blessed to still be using XP.

I did, of course, get the one popup requiring a restart of MLS after the download was complete.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:If you can find where RTPatch "lives" you can right-click on it and set it to "unblocked" and it should skip those prompts. It's been flagged "blocked" because it was downloaded. Hopefully they don't download a new copy for every patch (which would re-set it to "blocked".)

There's probably a security setting, but I'm not sure as I want to downgrade it, as it might be what stands between you and some browse-by malware.
The popup is a Windows 7 User Account Control popup. That doesn't have anything to do with whether the file was downloaded and won't be affected by the 'blocked' setting. It pops up whenever a program runs that needs administrative access (usually so it can make changes to files in protected directories like c:\program files or changes to the registry). That setting is in the program's manifest and can't be changed.

You can turn UAC off entirely but it does reduce your system security. It's possible that the church's Windows 7 image does turn it off by default which might explain why more people haven't seen the popup. We still have XP so I don't have any personal experience with how the church has configured their Windows 7 image.
chris_hazeldine

Post by chris_hazeldine »

Update to 3.6.1 ran the same way :-)
oliverchipping

Post by oliverchipping »

Relieved to see this info!

It would be helpful if we had a dependable forum for communicating these incoming updates.
I only saw a windows popup which pointed at the MLS directory, but it was an .EXE or executable file, I declined the pop up and hopped on this forum. I was worried about a possible compromise. There was no prior communication and unlike other Clerks on here, I did not get a MLS pop up that would have warned me an update was coming. Where can we suggest this type of communication to the MLS programmers?
oliverchipping

Post by oliverchipping »

(clarification -the pop-up I got was a "Windows 7" system warning of a program ready to install, not an MLS window.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

oliverchipping wrote:Where can we suggest this type of communication to the MLS programmers?
The best feedback method is to use the MLS messaging system to send a message to headquarters.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

oliverchipping wrote:It would be helpful if we had a dependable forum for communicating these incoming updates.
You should have received an electronic message in MLS on August 9 that "MLS version 3.6.1 will be downloaded to your unit's computer in the next few weeks." That is your official notification that an update is coming ... soon. :)

That message goes out at the beginning of the beta cycle. We released MLS 3.6.1 to six units on August 9. That expanded on August 16 to 184 units and then on August 23 to 1115 units. August 23 was also open beta, so any unit could move to 3.6.1 by downloading the installer from the web site. The final release was delayed a little because there were some changes in the beta cycle that we wanted to let cook in beta a little longer.

You can also view the release notes by going to http://www.lds.org/mlsupdate. If there is a question, that is one way to check and see if there is something newer than what you're running.
emmett

Post by emmett »

Good to know the bishop has just texted me with it popping up over and over... now in 2014
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

emmett wrote:Good to know the bishop has just texted me with it popping up over and over... now in 2014
That sounds like the MLS 3.7 update. If it is, we recommend installing the update.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”