Area Stake Conference Broadcast Issues

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
craiggsmith

Area Stake Conference Broadcast Issues

Post by craiggsmith »

Anyone else participate in the Salt Lake South Area Stake Conference Broadcast today? Satellite was fine, but volume for the stream was low. I talked to the help desk and it sounded like others had called in about that as well, but they never fixed it. They suggested accessing it through the web site (which I didn't know existed) instead of the direct link, and sure enough that one was a little louder, but after a short while it froze so we had to switch back. I thought maybe it was a bandwidth issue, but we had the same issue in another building with large bandwidth.

I do wish they had multiple bandwidth options though; the quality wasn't very good. For low bandwidth I think the priorities should be audio quality and video frame rate instead of resolution.

Hopefully we can get this process reliable.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Area Stake Conference Broadcast Issues

Post by lajackson »

craiggsmith wrote:They suggested accessing it through the web site (which I didn't know existed) instead of the direct link,
The help desk suggested accessing it over the website instead of the satellite system? Oh, dear. That is a totally separate operation for us and we are not set up to send Internet broadcasts throughout the building.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The help desk suggested accessing it over the website instead of the satellite system?
I think he's talking about two different ways of getting the stream.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Sorry. We indeed used the satellite broadcast in our stake center, but don't have that available in our other buildings so have to use an internet stream. It doesn't give us the ability to send the feed to a cry room though. Anyway, initially they gave me a direct URL, as with a webcast, but then directed me to a website on lds.org where I could log in and access it. Both LDS Media and Windows Media options were available. They suggested the former; I never tried the other.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

One other interesting note -- there was lots of background noise from crying/screaming kids. You don't get that with general conference as they don't allow kids under 8. I'm still surprised though; I can't imagine the podium mic picking that up, unless there was a reflective wall behind the speaker. But I suspect perhaps it was choir mics.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

craiggsmith wrote:One other interesting note -- there was lots of background noise from crying/screaming kids.
Our first stake conference broadcast we used a mike better suited for conference room teleconferences. It picked up noise from the cultural hall. Next time we used a very directional mike attached near the speaker. Sound was fine.

Next time we plan to use system sound. We do not anticipate that the pulpit mike will pick up noise from the congregation. It should be directional toward the choir.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

lajackson wrote:Next time we plan to use system sound. We do not anticipate that the pulpit mike will pick up noise from the congregation. It should be directional toward the choir.
The pulpit mic works great for the speaker, but is not the best for the choir. The last 2 conferences we did, we set up 2 mics on fully extended mic stands on either side of the choir to enhance what the pulpit mic could pick up. The results were MUCH better.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ABCraig

Post by ABCraig »

Some buildings can control the satelite volume using the pulpit control from the sending end. We found that when broadcasting from Stake Center out to Ward Buildings, that the amount of volumn on the receiving end depended on the amount pushed out using the pulpit controls at the Stake Center.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”