Emailing attachments to stake

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
zaneclark

Emailing attachments to stake

Post by zaneclark »

Our stake clerk asked me to help him send an attachment in a group message to all stake members. I don't believe you can do this in Clerk Resources. I use the Adult listing under Ward Organizations in the Directory, but I don't know if this category exists at the stake level. If it doesn't, is there another way he can send an attachment to the stake?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Emailing attachments to stake

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:Our stake clerk asked me to help him send an attachment in a group message to all stake members. I don't believe you can do this in Clerk Resources. I use the Adult listing under Ward Organizations in the Directory, but I don't know if this category exists at the stake level. If it doesn't, is there another way he can send an attachment to the stake?
The "All adult members" option does exist at the stake level for "Send a Message" under Clerk Resources.

But regardless of that point, Send a Message has no capability for including an attachment. So if an attachment is critical, your would have to use some other mail program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:send an attachment in a group message to all stake members.
Careful. That can get you labeled as a spammer and your account locked. You might want to carefully read the TOS of any email system you use for sending.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Two responses :first I was asking if the Adult category was listed in the Directory for the stake, and second, in using the email function in the Directory, you have to use your own mail program, so does this mean I am spamming each time I send a message to the entire ward?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

zaneclark wrote:in using the email function in the Directory, you have to use your own mail program, so does this mean I am spamming each time I send a message to the entire ward?
I'm not sure of all the factors. Maybe the biggest is that none of the recipients marks it as spam. But I would read the TOS for your email service provider to see what they consider "spam".

It probably wouldn't hurt to put a footer on the message as to why they are receiving it (you are a member of the zzz ward) and how to opt out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:first I was asking if the Adult category was listed in the Directory for the stake
Sorry, I didn't read your question carefully enough, and thought you were asking about Clerk Resources. Now I see that your question was about the Directory.

There is no ability in the Directory to send an email to all adult members in the stake; the only mailings that can be done at the stake level using the Directory are for groups of leaders.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

zaneclark wrote:Our stake clerk asked me to help him send an attachment in a group message to all stake members. I don't believe you can do this in Clerk Resources. I use the Adult listing under Ward Organizations in the Directory, but I don't know if this category exists at the stake level. If it doesn't, is there another way he can send an attachment to the stake?
One thing I have done is add the attachment to an entry in the newsletter. Then I include the link to that entry in the Send Message from Clerk Resources.

sample for including a link in Send Message emails.

Code: Select all

There is a flyer for this fireside on the <a href="https://www.lds.org/member-news?lang=eng#article=[your article number here]">stake newsletter site</a>
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:how to opt out.
Which raises the question of how does a member opt out of messages? For Wards/Stakes that only use this in rare cases, this may not be a problem. But out there somewhere is some leader wanting to drive greater participation by emailing nearly everything. How does a member opt out of that short of pulling their email completely off of lds.org?

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

If you use the Send Message it won't send it to them unless there email is set to Stake Visibility. Not the best opt out, but an option.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JonesRK wrote:If you use the Send Message it won't send it to them unless there email is set to Stake Visibility. Not the best opt out, but an option.
Yes, that works for now, but I've always considered that to be a bug that's likely to be fixed in a future version.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”