Sacrament Meeting and Hymn Tracking forms

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Does who blesses and passes the sacrament need to be recorded, tracked, or announced? Or is this just one of those traditions that got started on a whim and we do it simply because "that's the way we've always done it."

Our stake presidency specifically instructed all our units recently to stop dismissing/excusing those that blessed and passed the sacrament to return and sit with their families when sacrament was over. No thanks, no acknowledgments, no nothing, just continue on with the meeting. The priesthood simply gets up and returns to sit with their families when whoever is conducting stands up to the pulpit and begins announcing the rest of the meeting.

The reason? (1) There was no justification for it in the Handbook or other official sources (e.g. letter from the First Presidency, Quorum of the Twelve, Presiding Bishopric, etc.), therefore (2) it was perpetuating a tradition/precedent that was started on somebody's whim, and most importantly (3) it was drawing attention to something and placing importance, significance, or emphasis on something that had no importance or significance, neither did it need attention or emphasis.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

That's a tough one. As much as I (or others here) may have differing opinions, we are not in charge of your stake, nor entitled to the inspiration needed to run it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jbh001 wrote:Does who blesses and passes the sacrament need to be recorded, tracked, or announced?
I've never been in a ward that named them like that.
fergie34-p40

Post by fergie34-p40 »

Mikerowaved wrote:That's a tough one. As much as I (or others here) may have differing opinions, we are not in charge of your stake, nor entitled to the inspiration needed to run it.

I have to agree with you. BTW my ward doesn't name the priesthood but we do thank them for their service in performing the sacrament.
Robert Ferguson
South Shore Ward, Plainview New York Stake
mattprasmussen

Post by mattprasmussen »

jbh001 wrote:Does who blesses and passes the sacrament need to be recorded, tracked, or announced? Or is this just one of those traditions that got started on a whim and we do it simply because "that's the way we've always done it."
No, the names of who blesses and passes does not need to be recorded. We do not announce them. (That would be a little too rameumptum-like :eek:) That's the way both of my counselors were trained and have done it for years. I never fill it in, just them.

We don't assign people to give the opening and closing prayers until that morning, based on who's attending. That way we don't get stuck announcing Brother so-and-so will give the opening prayer and he's sick at home. The blank line for visitors is to be able to mention by name when someone from the stake is there, regardless of the auxiliary or calling.

The "2 1/2 Minute" speaker is generally a youth speaker but we also use that for newer converts or people who are "scared to death" of public speaking. They always have the option to say no but it's a good way to get someone accustomed to speaking in church. We say "2 1/2 Minutes" but it's usually always four or five minutes when they actually speak.

The clerk adds the attendance number after the meeting and files the agenda. Attendance on these forms is then used for the quarterly report and our general tracking.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jbh001 wrote:Our stake presidency specifically instructed all our units recently to stop dismissing/excusing those that blessed and passed the sacrament to return and sit with their families when sacrament was over. No thanks, no acknowledgments, no nothing, just continue on with the meeting.

The reason?
Actually, the reason was that a few years ago the area seventies came around to all of the stake presidents and relayed that instruction. However, I never did see it in a letter or other document from the Church, and it is apparent that the practice is back in vogue again. It is discouraged in our stake.
Mr.Intel-p40

Post by Mr.Intel-p40 »

There's been some great ideas and forms posted here. My Bishopric has been using a form for conducting that has really helped. After a year of conducting, I still get tunnel vision at the pulpit, so having the right form has been a lifesaver on numerous occasions.
Attachments
sacrament planner - blank.xls
(20 KiB) Downloaded 1148 times
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Check the wording of your priesthood ordination verbiage against the handbook. The part about "has been interviewed and been found worthy" is superfluous, not to mention unnecessary. The congregation should assume that the proper interviews and approvals have already taken place.

Besides, do you really want to be announcing someone's worthiness from the pulpit?

The verbiage we use in our unit is something like (from memory): "It is prosposed that John Doe receive the Aaronic Priesthood and be ordained to the office of priest. Those in favor may manifest it. [Pause for vote.] Those opposed, if any, may also manifest it."

Or for a simple advancement: "It is proposed that John Doe be ordained to the office of teacher. Those in favor ..."
kolisikepu

Post by kolisikepu »

Hi All,

I've been meaning to post my forms on our forum here, but just haven't had the time.

Well here is my form for our Bishopric. I tried to keep it simple and easy to fill in on a PC (or for those who have Mac's, on a Mac too) or paper. Let me know what you think and if I can improve anything on it too. I hope you find it helpful.

I've got a PDF version of it, because my Bishopric isn't as advanced on the PC as some, I've made it so we can print it out and fill it in with a pen.

I've also got a Word 2007 version for those who just want to play around with what I've started.

..::[ Kepz ]::.. :cool:
Attachments
New Minto Ward Sacrament Agenda.pdf
(185.72 KiB) Downloaded 883 times
Minto Ward Sacrament Agenda.docx
(37.24 KiB) Downloaded 738 times
..::[ Kolisi Kepu ]::..
Joomla King
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I looked at the PDF form. It looked fine, but I didn't see how I could fill it out with just Acrobat Reader.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Reports and Forms”