Ability to Manage Photos is Missing

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
davidiode

Re: Ability to Manage Photos is Missing

Post by davidiode »

I am in the same fix as the rest of these people and the discussion of a possible reason makes sense. But what puzzles me is dropping our rights with no explanation. I don't understand why we aren't in the loop. As admins we need all the info we can get and keeping us in the dark confuses me.
anitacolorado

Post by anitacolorado »

Noticed the same restriction here. I serve as the ward website administrator and still have access to the calendar and the newsletter sections, but can no longer upload and/or approve photos to the directory. No idea if this is a temporary glitch or a new policy restricting admin rights to this feature. Guess I'll wait and see what develops. :)
hiltpatr

Post by hiltpatr »

I am a ward clerk and rely on the ward website administrator to manage the photos where i don't have a membership clerk and have lots of other things to worry about so it would be appreciated if they could restore this function or at least give some sort of explanation as to why it is no longer available. Even if it is simply that the first presidency said that it shouldn't be there.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

hiltpatr wrote:I am a ward clerk and rely on the ward website administrator to manage the photos where i don't have a membership clerk and have lots of other things to worry about so it would be appreciated if they could restore this function or at least give some sort of explanation as to why it is no longer available. Even if it is simply that the first presidency said that it shouldn't be there.
Why don't you talk to the Bishop about having the Ward Website Administrator called as the Assistant Ward Clerk - Membership.
hiltpatr

Post by hiltpatr »

I would do that but the website admin is a female so we can't do that.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

hiltpatr wrote:I would do that but the website admin is a female so we can't do that.
That would be a problem.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:
hiltpatr wrote:I would do that but the website admin is a female so we can't do that.
That would be a problem.
Yes. You would also want to be careful about what RKJones mentioned earlier in this topic.
And you have to be careful because it gives a lot of extra rights to membership information in Directory and Clerk Resources.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

lajackson wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:
That would be a problem.
Yes. You would also want to be careful about what RKJones mentioned earlier in this topic.
And you have to be careful because it gives a lot of extra rights to membership information in Directory and Clerk Resources.
Yes however I was speaking of calling the individual as an "Assistant Ward Clerk - Membership" through official approved methods where they would do more than just manage photos. Not just changing the calling in MLS to "Assistant Ward Clerk" so they can manage photos.
chessjhm7

Post by chessjhm7 »

What would help in a thread like this is something like
  • "On June 26, 2013, Ward Website Administrators had permission to manage photos temporarily suspended due to...[something about MRNs?]"
  • "We expect the functionality to return in release 1.10.15, which is tentatively scheduled for [August 2013]"
Absent this, some member's imaginations tend to wander quickly into extreme explanations: "I wasn't doing my calling correctly or quickly enough," "the Church doesn't think I was obtaining consent for the photos I was posting," etc. And I have no means of managing expectations on a decision I have no impact on.
mevans

Post by mevans »

lajackson wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:
That would be a problem.
Yes however I was speaking of calling the individual as an "Assistant Ward Clerk - Membership" through official approved methods where they would do more than just manage photos. Not just changing the calling in MLS to "Assistant Ward Clerk" so they can manage photos.
I am someone who was called as an assistant ward clerk. Yes, I have access to more things, but remember that an assistant ward clerk also must be approved by and called by the stake, so there is some additional scrutiny before granting access to additional permissions.

It seems to me that a webmaster should be able to manage photos (unless someone somewhere messed up and the church decided to tighten it up). Another guess is that it has something to do with privacy issues and they need to keep it in the hands of the bishopric/clerks.

There are a lot of people out there who could serve very well in a webmaster capacity who may not be able to be called as an assistant clerk (sisters, youth, recent converts, less-active members). I'm not sure what the permission differences are, but I imagine most of what I do I could do if I was webmaster instead of assistant clerk. (Sometimes I update membership records and callings; a webmaster wouldn't be able to do that.)

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”