Anyway to turn on Names on Map Tags?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
ravensachel

Anyway to turn on Names on Map Tags?

Post by ravensachel »

Hello Folks,
EQP here looking for any method to turn on the last name or any other identifier on the map pins.
I've looked this up a while ago for Google Maps... trying to find a way to make a printable map that you could actually carry around that would have last names pinned to their house location.

Thanks for any ideas.
Paul
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Anyway to turn on Names on Map Tags?

Post by jdlessley »

The feature you are looking for is there. When printing the map, check the box for "Name tag (map only)" in the Display Options to get the household names displayed. But the zoom level, the nearness of households to each other at the current zoom level, and grouping of households affects the display. If the zoom level is set close in enough, households are not too close to be combined in mapping the location markers, and households are not grouped together, you will get individual household names displayed in the printed map.

In my testing I was not able to get individual household names for every household unless the zoom level was close enough that the entire ward required the map to be broken in to six pages. Our ward covers an area measuring approximately six miles by two and three quarter miles - the smallest area of all the wards/branches in our stake.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

This can be done with the Maps application on LDS.org right now:
  1. On LDS.org, go to Sign In/Tools
  2. Choose Maps, and sign in if you aren't already signed in
  3. Choose "View Your Ward"
  4. Click the Print icon at the bottom (Printer-Friendly Map)
  5. Click Display Options
  6. Check the box by "Name tag"
  7. Adjust the zoom as needed
Depending on your ward's geography and membership, you might alternatively consider the Map Numbers option instead of Name Tags, since it takes less space on the map; you then correlate the numbers with the household list that is printed.
ravensachel

Post by ravensachel »

You guys rock! Thanks I'll give it a try.
mbrinson

Post by mbrinson »

Where did this feature go??? I was extremely disappointed to discover that this hugely useful feature (the additional options available under "Printer Friendly" view) has disappeared.

Is it just me, or is anyone else seeing this?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mbrinson wrote:Is it just me, or is anyone else seeing this?
Yes, it appears to have been removed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mbrinson

Post by mbrinson »

Anyone have any idea as to why?
kurtfk

Post by kurtfk »

I would really like to use this feature too, but not just with the Print button. Why can't we display name tags for the members on the screen? Not just all members, but sorted by category: High Priests, Elders, YM/YW, Relief Society, etc. I wrote an app about 20 years ago that did this, in the pre-Internet days. I called it "Ward Perfect". How hard can it be?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

kurtfk wrote:Why can't we display name tags for the members on the screen?
The name tags do display on the screen. But they do not display in the manner you may want them. A name is only displayed when the mouse pointer hovers over a location marker. If the marker is a group of households then click the "click to view more details" icon for the group location marker to display the names of all the households. There currently is no feature to turn on all the name tags at once on the screen.
kurtfk wrote:Not just all members, but sorted by category: High Priests, Elders, YM/YW, Relief Society, etc. I wrote an app about 20 years ago that did this, in the pre-Internet days. I called it "Ward Perfect". How hard can it be?
Even if this display implementation has been suggested, it is not the level of difficulty that determines whether it is implemented or not. The community is not the customer for this application. Rather a church department such as the Priesthood Department is the customer. ICS only implements those features approved by the sponsoring church department.
JD Lessley
kurtfk

Post by kurtfk »

Thank you. I can understand why that is so. However, do the sponsoring church departments take suggestions? I hope so.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”